error 208

Blackdog

Have you been able to get the Vive to run without issues before or has it always been 208? We'd need basic info to   attempt to help (OS, GPU, and possibly motherboard).

What color is the light on the side of the HMD during this issue? 

Things to try:

• Bypass the linkbox's HDMI and USB connections and plug the HMD's 3-in-1 directly into the computer. Leave power connected via the linkbox.
  • Making sure that you are not plugging the Vive's HMDI cable into any sort of adapter such as a DVI->HDMI adapter as this could break HDCP.
  • Ensuring that the Vive's 3-in-1 cable is fully seated on the HMD side. 
    • shows how to remove the compartment cover
  • Unplug any secondary monitors. You should try having only the Vive and your primary monitor connected.
    • In some cases, powercylcing affects display assignment. You should try powering on the PC with your Vive disconnected and then connect it after booting into windows to eliminate this as a cause. 
  • Verify that the devices are detected within the USB page of SteamVR. 
  • Uninstall and reinstall the Vive's drivers within SteamVR. Unplug the Vive and reboot your computer, log in, and plug the Vive's cables into the PC when Steam is not running. The device should automatically reinstall the drivers.
  •  

Good luck getting a refund ... I jumped thorugh all the hoops and was unsuccessful at getting anything working. When it came to getting a refund I was told they could only put the money in my vive wallet.

Now how am I supposed to use that money in my vive wallet on games I cant even download.  >_< GG Vive. Thank God for steam.

• 1 year later...

Am I just supposed to have a GPU with an HDMI port? Those are tough to come by unless you're willing to hand out $500 on just a graphics card. I have an AMD RX 570 and it only has DVI, how else am I supposed to play?

Hi there,

Our minimum recommended specs for Vive are as follows:

• Graphics*:

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon™ RX 480, equivalent or better. View the complete list ›

• Processor:

Intel® Core™ i5-4590 or AMD FX™ 8350, equivalent or better

• Memory:

4 GB RAM or more

• Video out:

HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.2 or newer

• USB ports:

1x USB 2.0 or better port

• Operating system:

Windows® 7 SP1, Windows® 8.1 or later, Windows® 10

Unfortunately, RX 570 doesn't quite cut it. It doesn't perform as well as the RX 480. Despite being somewhat newer, it was intended to be on the lower end of that generation of AMD GPUs whereas the 480 is nearer to the middle, spec-wise.
    You'll need either HDMI or DisplayPort for VR.

Thank you.
    -John C

PCVR is extreemly demanding - you're generating a stereoscopic image at 90 frames per second. You simply need a powerful GPU. HDMI is probably the most common port on GPUs except in high-end cards which dump it for Displayport. 

A good GPU that's capable of powering the Vive is $100-200 on the low end. You can get a card like the GTX2060 for $350 that is crazy powerful given it's price.

Archived