PC crashes when I start SteamVR

mdinkov

I have the same unsolved issue with blue/black screeen when starting Steam VR, but I also have made some additional observations which might shed some light on the problem.

First of all, I use old (2018) Nvidia drivers, so I do not think it is caused by the latest update.

Second, when installing Vive I postponed reboot after installing the software and both the headset and Steam VR was working until I rebooted my PC, so it might be a configuration issue as the finalization of the install (i e the reboot) seems to have triggered the problem.

Third, I've been able to provoke a blackscreen without even trying to start Steam VR.  I got a blackscreen/reboot just by turning the headset off and restarting it. The PC dies the instant the LED on the headset turns green.

Best regards

/e

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I recently built a brand new computer.

AMD ryzen 5 2600x

Ge Force RTX 2070

and everything else needed

Bought a HTC vive

Played for about 2 days without issues, i have it running on my tv etc. Just like all of you.

I played pavlov with some buddies for about 4 hours straight

later that week i downloaded, Rec room.

later that week as i was trying to play rec room it would kick me out of the game or freeze. Then i went into a game i know works which was pavlov and then BAM blue screen so then i troubleshot some stuff and now it would only let me play about 1/2 in which ever game. Then i troubleshot some more and the same (when i say trouble shot i mean making sure i reinstall and swtich the USB ports etc.)

Recently i was downloading some stuff for my VR home and again it gave me blue screen error code was:

System service exception

what failed: nvlddmkm.sys

wondering if anyone found a fix? or they have made some headway on this?

- BSOD's can be tricky without the complete stop code (the error code it lists) but crashes related to nvlddmkm.sys are almost always related to Nvidia drivers. It usually means a driver is corrupted. You should try to do a complete "clean" install of the driver (either via Nvidia's installer -> advanced setup -> preform clean install) or by using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). Try installing the latest driver again, if it doesn't work - try a few versions back and see if there's a difference. If you Google around, you'll see that sometimes people can only solve this issue with a clean install - it can be a deeply embedded corruption. 

What does Window's Event viewer list under critical events? It should capture alot more info about the issue. You'd probably want to check out the event viewer and based off what you see there create a support ticket with Nvidia.

This could also be related to the GPU overheating or the PSU not delivering enough juice. 

Thanks for the info!  

So to give you an update on this i took it into the place where i bought all my parts for them to inspect. I had this feeling it was not a software issue. The reason why i had this feeling is because all the parts are less then 15 days old (since time i bought them) and i had done most of the re installing and rolling back that i could. Turns out my brand new CPU was failing, droping cores like no tomorrow. They replaced it and i played a lot last night with no issues. I will keep testing it and keep you guys in the loop.