HDMI Port questions.

Lioness

So, my husband is deployed right now and we have a VIVE. I really wanted to play Star Trek Bridge Crew so I gathered all the VIVE parts and plugged them in. I keep getting an error message that the hdmi cable needs to be in the same port as the graphics card but I can only find one hdmi port. We have played on this computer before so...could you guys help me? There must be something I'm missing, where else would I put the hdmi cable if thats the only place on the back of the computer? Please SOS.

Sincerely,

a confused Navy wife who just wants to play Bride Crew.

Hello , 

This may be a new bug introduced by yesterday's major SteamVR update. The update is designed to help avoid situations where the user has a GPU but has plugged the Vive into the motherboard's onboard graphics port. What is your system info (GPU, OS, model). Are you on a a desktop or a laptop? Since this is a new bug, the more info you can provide the better equipped we are to help. If the bug is within SteamVR, only Valve will be able to lend assistance. 

Hi ,

Thanks for the response! If it was a new bug, that would make more sense as I said this is the only time I've ever had an issue with this. So here is a little more detailed information:

I am on a desktop computer / GPU is a 1080 / Windows 10. I finally figured out where to plug in the HDMI cable (I found the DVI cable in the back of our other computer) but now my problem is, is that when I start SteamVR, my monitor goes completely black with the only option to fixing it is force restart. I was also getting a few error codes when I unplugged the headset to try and troubleshoot it, for it was a compositor error, then it asked me to switch to direct mode which I did but as soon as I would plug in my headset after getting everything squared away and turned on/ready to play, I'd click on SteamVR to open it and my monitor would completely freeze and go to black. So, not really sure what exactly is going on. Not sure if its my VIVE or steam now.

Archived