Works for 2-3 minutes then no tracking grey screen, USB driver will not install

Draoidh

Yes but I do not think that USBDeview is clearing the DriverStore. The my OEM###.INF numbers is now over 100 with all the installs/uninstalls of this. I might end up writing a tool that will compare active with the store and clear out any non-used devices. 

Turns out I have that many OEM INFs due to multiple devices that I have had installed at one time or another. It appears the only OEM driver Vive HW has is the BroadCom Bluetooth. The other 8 devices are all using the ITB USB driver. For ITB driver USBDeview would only need to do a dereference to uninstall.

I tried using a high quality USB3.0 cable tonight and it appears to be solid now. The Vive USB cable tests good with a cable checker so this seems to be due to some EM interference. Maybe from the USB3 itself. I have some Bluetooth headphones that I need to have its receiver away from any unshielded USB3. So far so good using this cable.

BTW the USB5734 chip is what is dropping out and with it the internal hub that the rest of the unit is using.

I also found a workaround for the issue. You can use a USB extension cable and plug the HMD directly into the systems USB. The power and the HDMI can stay connected to the Link Box. This prevents the glitch from impacting the HMD. You will still have the Bluetooth reconnecting randomly but your HMD will not die. I would not do any firmware updating of the Lighthouses though. If it gitches while updating it might brick the Lighthouse.

I am not ready to say for sure the USB3 cable fixed the problem. Will keep you posted if it stays solid through the next few days. 

It is not the same issue. This issue is dealing with the USB hub in the Link Box disconnecting / reconnecting intermittently. The issue you are referring to is a tracking issue between the HMD and the Lighthouse.

Archived