Base station firmware update kills the base station dead. All was fine until doing recommended upd

paulitsjmp

I have a brand new VIVE and 2500 laptop that worked fine for a week.  Then I get a notice to update the base station firmware.  That update successfully killed my base station.  No lights no nothing.  Pls don't tell me to try another power cord.  I did all the obvious things.  How can a fimware update totally kill my $3,000. investment.  What kind of rookies are programming these units.  Maybe you are used to having things like this happen but this a a growing field and there is no excuse for sending updates that are untested and bring a user 100% down.  I'm 67 years old and am amazed at the technology but equally amazed at how thoughtess and inconsistant the software is.  I am so disappointed in the programmers.  Now that you probably hate me for telling you how I feel.  Any idea how to recover my 1 week old system?

jim [personal information removed]

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jim,

I'm very sorry to hear that happened. Have you tried contacting our support team to get your base station replaced? I'd highly recommend the Live Chat support at www.vive.com/us/support/contactus as a first step, and if you need any assistance after they've helped you, please return here and we'd be glad to help you further with set up or whatever Vive questions you need answered!

Thank you,

-John C

I can assure you, there's no con. You've had your device for 18+ months, right? Generally, when there's an error (Fault 03/02) that occurs after a firmware update (as rare as that is) it's the result of the fault detection threshhold being changed to more accurately detecting failing rotors. (Rotors can fail for any number of reasons as any device with sensitive moving parts might over time.)

The intent behind this is that tracking performance may degrade as the rotor wears down over time, but the software does not detect this leading to unexplained and unresolvable tracking problems.

In any case, please contact me via PM and I'll see what I can do to help you.

Thank you,

-John C

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't even know why this firmware is showing up if it breaks the base! You know everyone will update it as soon as they see it. It seems that this has been happening since 2016!

Mine went dead too trying to update the firmware, even though it said success.

I revived it thanks to this post: https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/1318835718930709007/#c1318835718931148282

After that I hesitantly re-updated the firmware. But this time it did not die and it shows as up to date. Did I do something wrong during my initial update(no I didn't unplug power or usb during)??

- The newer firmware versions have much stricter timing tolerances for the mechanical rotation of the rotors. Basically, it makes tracking overall more robust and accurate by ensuring the motors are traveling at very specific speed - if the rotors are outside of that tolerance it will display fault 03. SteamVR's firmware update process is mysterious overall, I'm glad you were able to successfully restore your base station, that procedure doesn't always work. 

• 1 month later...

I've just had the same issue VR system was working perfectly fine but base stations had an ! mark on them and so I did the firmware update went through as success and now they are all black with no lights it does seem

this software update has called the units to fail.

Please advise.

Archived