Base station firmware update kills the base station dead. All was fine until doing recommended upd

paulitsjmp

As previously stated in this thread and others: The firmware update is not causing a failure, it is detecting a pre-existing mechanical failure which is degrading tracking fidelity. That failure will eventually be complete and prevent the base station from functioning at all.

It requires a hardware repair. Attempting to alter the firmware manually may completely disable the base station and in any case, will not resolve the underlying issue.

Thank you,

-John C

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John,

Thanks for making that clear. In the meantime I did some more reading and testing, and I think I can confirm your conclusions. While the firmware downgrade does revive the base station, it seems to be not functioning properly. Tracking is not very accurate at all now. This is consistent with the fact that newer SteamVR settings are less tolerant to base stations falling outside their calibration parameters (probably not the best way to describe it), while older SteamVR settings are perfectly happy with hardware failures that cause inaccurate tracking. Before yesterday all was fine, but I guess it's just a matter of purely coincidental bad luck.

So, off to get myself a replacement base station - not an easy task these days.

I'll start by saying that the VR experience has been fantastic and we are really happy we took the plunge. That said this firmware update "issue" (yes it is an issue) caused us nothing but pain and frustration. We bought our first setup, brought it home, set it up and updated all necessary firmware as recommended by SteamVR. Everything was then checked off as "up to date" but one of the lighthouses was dead. In looking at the sync button on the back it was still depressed. It looked like it somehow got stuck inside the unit. We tried for almost an hour to get it "unstuck" and believed that our inability to do so was the resaon the base was dead. The next day we returned to the place of purchase and they happily exchanged the entire system.

We repeated the same steps with another BRAND NEW set of components and this time BOTH base stations ended up dead. So much for us thinking it was the button. I'm not sure if I can post links so I won't try but using a procedure outlined by WthLee over on redit we were able to recover both lighthouses. We have now simply ignored the firmware update so that we can enjoy our purchase.

Vive Staff in this thread is justifying this by explaining that the lighthouses were compromised and that the later firmware is more robust at detecting failures but as you can see this does NOT seem to be the case in our experience. If so does that mean that three out of four BRAND NEW lighthouses (November 2018) we just tried are defective? Should we be RMA'ing these devices before the warrantee expires? Can HTC (Vive) provide us with an up-to-date firmware that doesn’t brick these devices? Enquiring minds want to know.

Please advise and thank you in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been trying to help my aunt set hers up. The first base station we tried the firmware update and it just died. No lights no matter where we plugged it in. She took it back to gamestop and they replaced the bases stations. She got to the same point and she did the update of the firmware. The brand new base station is dead again. What is the deal with this product? I think she should call you, but I can't find a number to reach you.

• 1 month later...

This is terrifying to think this will happen with a "NEW" base station. My base station did this exact thing. It is two years old... No warranty and "The fix" sort of works but the station loses tracking constantly. Vive wants cash to fix it. But the NEW towers do this with updates also?? I can't just keep dumping money into new stations. I love my Vive... But New lighthouses also?? * sighs* was going to get a new lighthouse... I just don't know now.

• 3 weeks later...

Well.my two base stations were two hours old and the firmware upgrade bricked em both. Now what? Bloody annoyed doesnt cover it. Ive opened a ticket online to hopefully get something done about it. Does the live chat have a uk connection. Ive tried the so called 'fix'. Nothing, dead dead dead. Not even a blink of a ligjt anywhere. Im.stunned, pretty much unbelievable.

Archived