Backpack PC for Vive Pro

tobi_s

In order to demo our large-space solution for the Vive Pro we want to use a backpack PC. But how to connect it to the Vive Pro?  The original Vive just plugs into the backpack PC directly, using HDMI, USB and power connectors provided by the PC. Therefore one can use shorter cables, one doesn't have to carry around a power source for the Link Box etc.

Is or will there be a cable available that splits into three that can be used to plug into the PC directly? Is there a backpack PC that can connect to the Vive Pro?

(If you're interested, our large-space solution can be seen in this blog post)

ps I'm aware of the coming wireless adapter. We're talking about large spaces with several people, where  bandwidth and range requirements will probably both exceed the capabilities of a fully wireless approach. 

With the dev kit, you will need to use the link box and all-in one cable for hmd, plus DisplayPort cable from link box to backpack PC. I understand your unique business requirements and will provide your feedback to the product team regarding custom cable solutions as well as wireless use case. Thanks!

Cool, thanks. I assume that backpack vendors will be very interested in keeping their backpacks compatible with the high end of the market, so I'm sure that there's interest in a short, direct connection 3-to-1 cable also on their side, though they may be encumbered by patents and the like.

wrote:

Cool, thanks. I assume that backpack vendors will be very interested in keeping their backpacks compatible with the high end of the market, so I'm sure that there's interest in a short, direct connection 3-to-1 cable also on their side, though they may be encumbered by patents and the like.

Yes this is being looked into. Could you also share which VR PC backpack you plan to use? 

Just want to +1 this. We’re eyeing up the MSI 7RE and Zotac VR GO for various client needs as they’re the best value for money backpacks with something better than a 1060 in. The MSI is edging forward as it has DP on the top though, whereas the Zotac only has DP on the side making it a bit less appealing with the Pro.

For now we’ll probably 3D print a bracket to hold the link box onto the backpack, however a more sturdy solution in the future would definitely be ideal.

I am also on this camp, but I already have an MSI VR1 backpack running a 1070.  I am willing to test ASAp, but my question is how do i power the linkbox?  The MSI backpack has a power port for the old Vive, so before, all i had to do was plug the 3 HMD cables into the Backpack... but now, with the linkbox, my real question is if there is a cable that has the connector of the power conector on both ends (so one goes to linkbox, and the other to the backpack).
Also, i have access to test also on 2 other backpacks if needed (the new HP ones, and also a Chinese one Tao Feng I think.. not sure if it still being produced)?
In addition, i have been working on LBE stuff (where these backpacks are used most often), and one question (which might be too early to formulate) is if the intel WIGI adapter supports multiple users and a good range... then all this backpack conversation might be short lived :)  Even more, if Lighthouse 2.0 delivers on its promise (which it seems it does), then LBE will be revolutionnized since it will be far more affordable than current tracking systems like optitrax :)
but enough diverting from main subject... i can test on backpacks, just need a good soul to link me a good cable on amazon to purchase :)

Power: assuming it uses the same port as the standard Vive, you just need to get a male to male barrel cable. There’s full specs on what kind you need knocking around in regards to polarity, size, etc. For testing you could use the 3-in-1 from the normal Vive to make sure everything works fine.

Wireless: I imagine it’ll be fine for the 10x10m stuff but if you’re doing massive stuff like The VOID a backpack is probably still the most viable option. Too many people and too big a space.

I too am looking forward to Lighthouse 2.0 breaking the tracking size shackles. Especially when it’s working with more than 4 eventually and we can do insanely large tracking volumes for less than 5% of the cost of Optitrack!

We were looking into what's available on the market, and ran into this roadblock, so right now our plans are contingent on what becomes available. Our customers seem to be using MSI for the most part.

wrote:

wrote:

Yes this is being looked into. Could you also share which VR PC backpack you plan to use? 

We were looking into what's available on the market, and ran into this unpleasantness, so right now our plans are on hold until we are assured that we won't buy a product where we'd have to carry around a link box forever. Our customers seem to be using MSI for the most part, we liked the HP very much.

wrote:

Power: assuming it uses the same port as the standard Vive, you just need to get a male to male barrel cable. There’s full specs on what kind you need knocking around in regards to polarity, size, etc. For testing you could use the 3-in-1 from the normal Vive to make sure everything works fine.

Yeah, that's something we were thinking about, though carrying around a linkbox and the long cable is not very appealing, it might be a good interim solution. OTOH it's good to have some assurance that we will be able to get a useful all-in-one cable soon.

Wireless: I imagine it’ll be fine for the 10x10m stuff but if you’re doing massive stuff like The VOID a backpack is probably still the most viable option. Too many people and too big a space.

I too am looking forward to Lighthouse 2.0 breaking the tracking size shackles. Especially when it’s working with more than 4 eventually and we can do insanely large tracking volumes for less than 5% of the cost of Optitrack!

Given the amount of money that is being spent on Optitrack and similar systems right now, the market doesn't seem to be placing too much confidence in that happening. That, or they all want to get into the motion capture business along the way :)

Archived