HMD Pro Cable Length

Leguminard

Just upgraded to the Pro HMD but it won't run on my existing setup.

Got my machine in another room and 15m active USB and HDMI cables. Runs my old Vive HMD just fine. Won't even say hello to the new HMD. The HDMI is actually DP(1m) to active HDMI (15m), so to get back to the mini-DP I dropped in a HDMI to mini-DP converter (no real length increase), but yeah ... doesn't even say hi to the HMD, the link box is recognised just fine and if I plug everything straight in on short cables it sees the HMD fine.

At a pinch I could go down to 10m length but definitely not less than that. Problem is the best DP cable I've found online was a 10m Roline Gold which seems to be about the only cable with the needed resolution (2880 by 1600) but it says 4096 by 2160 at 60Hz. The Vive Pro says it needs 2880 by 1600 at 110Hz.

Can anyone tell me if the cable will run the needed resolution at the needed frequency or is the cable limited to 60Hz regardless of resolution?

Or if anyone else has the Pro HMD running on a system at 10m+ length with a different cable setup can you tell me what the cable setup you have is?

wrote:

Just upgraded to the Pro HMD but it won't run on my existing setup.

Got my machine in another room and 15m active USB and HDMI cables. Runs my old Vive HMD just fine. Won't even say hello to the new HMD. The HDMI is actually DP(1m) to active HDMI (15m), so to get back to the mini-DP I dropped in a HDMI to mini-DP converter (no real length increase), but yeah ... doesn't even say hi to the HMD, the link box is recognised just fine and if I plug everything straight in on short cables it sees the HMD fine.

At a pinch I could go down to 10m length but definitely not less than that. Problem is the best DP cable I've found online was a 10m Roline Gold which seems to be about the only cable with the needed resolution (2880 by 1600) but it says 4096 by 2160 at 60Hz. The Vive Pro says it needs 2880 by 1600 at 110Hz.

Can anyone tell me if the cable will run the needed resolution at the needed frequency or is the cable limited to 60Hz regardless of resolution?

Or if anyone else has the Pro HMD running on a system at 10m+ length with a different cable setup can you tell me what the cable setup you have is?

The Pro requires DP 1.2 or higher or USB-C output from the GPU. There are no HDMI cables or adapters that will work at any length.

For 10m+ DP cable solutions, we are reviewing some options and will follow-up. 

Was it really necessary to go displayport?  this is a huge hassle to try to get anything beyond 15ft working.  Has anyone figured out a solution to this issue yet?

I ran my old vive into another room to avoid the heat from the computers since its not exactly a well ventilated device.

My laptop (Alienware 15r3) has a usb-c and mini display port (not a full size display port) and I too have been looking for a quality mDp cable. I have been experiencing issues with jidders and missed frames since I first bought my Pro and wanted to rule out it's not due to the cable. I tried this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0777RKTJB/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 it works but didn't help the whole jidders/tracking/missed-frames issue go away. Just bought this one and will see if it helps https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XSWPMVT/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

If that doesn't do it, I believe I can rule out that it's a cable issue and will unfortunately be returning my Pro. Current jidders and missed frames make it unplayable.

• 4 weeks later...

Please advise if anybody has tested successfully a cable extension set. I really need to extend about 5 or 6 meters the linkbox from my PC. I need both USB 3.0 and DisplayPort cables length.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi David,

please follow up on the topic. The missing extension capabilities (min 7,5m for me) hold me back from upgrading to the Vive Pro since I cannot change my setup at home which works perfectly with an active HDMI (Redmere Chipset) cable and the normal Vive.

Thanks

Chris

Archived