VIVE Pro tracking out, original works fine

Raging Beard

Hi I am having the same issue everytime i turn around or move it logs me off i dont understand the problem and why it keeps greying out i have purchased 4 for the house hold and all of them seem to have this issue where as the htc vive does not have this problem

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to add a data point to "stuff that could make your tracking go crazy", particularly regarding reflective surfaces. I recently upgraded from a Vive to a Vive Pro (with 2.0 Lighthouses). Since I already had slight problems with reflections when I originally started using the first Vive, I already expected something in that direction when I switched to the 2.0 version. What I did not expect was _what_ was actually causing the issue this time around.

Consider my room layout as shown below. L1 and L2 are the two lighthouses, W1-W3 are quite large windows. During normal gameplay, I regularly experienced quite severe tracking issues of the controllers and headset, sometimes with the whole room becoming slanted in one direction and only very slowly recovering.

I was almost certain that L1 must be the culprit since it is obviously facing the windows. So I tried moving it to different locations, putting covers over the windows (W1 and W2 in particular), but to no avail. I also swapped the lighthouses and tried using only one of them at a time, but especially the depicted "problem area" would always trigger the problem even during room setup.

After quite some experimentation, I finally tried something that seems to have helped a lot: I rotated L2 slightly away from the windows. And guess what, I was not able to trigger the problem in room setup again. After all, it seems like the angle of the lighthouses (2.0?) is so wide that L2 must have hit W2 and/or W3 in close proximity and caused the problems. My little drawing may not even show it that well, but I would not have expected that L2 would have anything to do with the windows. But indeed, when I rotated L2 a bit further towards the windows, I was not even able to complete room setup since the floor calibration would not succeed.

I still have to test the new, ever so slight change in my setup during gameplay, but I'm positive that it should improve the situation. I don't know if the sensors are just more sensitive, or the angle of the new lighthouses is wider, but for me this not-so-obvious change seems to make a huge difference.

Now there are still enough issues left with wireless and stuff, but that's a different story. ;P

, the 2.0 basestations are still under development on both the software and hardware front so there are some differences.

First off, have you updated the HMD's firmware at all? There was a firmware update that enhanced the sensor response on the HMD. You may need to flip over to the SteamVR beta branch for your client to see that update (but that firmware was pushed some time ago so your unit may already have it). Are you trying to use 1.0 and 2.0 tracking at the same time? The former will break the latter. Lastly, it does seem like the new ASICs in the HMD are more sensitive to environmental IR emissions (i.e. depth cameras such as the xbox kinect) as well as certain types of reflective surfaces. 

I have 3 HMDs.

2 Old Vives and one Pro.

4 Base stations 1.x.

When using the Vive Pro it loses traking when just covering 1 sensor on the HMD.

When placing HMD on the floor it loses tracking as well. When just lift it of the floor it gets tracking.

I tried covering with one finger on one sensor and it immediately loses tracking.

I don't have anything reflective nor other RF or USB devices.

Somehow when just one sensor of the HMD it loses sight of the lighthouses it disconnects.

Putting the Lighthouses closer together doesn't hellp or getting it alligned also no positive results.

Very strange stuff.

Can it be the HMD is faulty? Should I replace this product?

• 4 weeks later...

Same issue as reported for the last several months. Have not ruled out reflective surfaces yet but seriously, we need a clean room to make work? Still working through all the suggestions and things that worked for some folks.

6700K, 1080 Ti x2, 16gb 3200mhz ram

At times I can play for hours, other times it constantly goes out no matter what I seem to do, this tend to make me believe it is something other than a reflective surface since it is the same room. Original Vive was near perfect in the same room, conditions etc. So what is so different about the Vive Pro? Knowing that can help resolve the different behavior.

• 1 month later...

Ok I should have read this thread before doing the upgrade.

Have one of the first batch Vive, never a problem.  Last year upgraded the HMD to Pro for higher resolution, no problem either.

So last month I sold my complete setup of VivePro with basestation 1.0, and bought a brand new Vive Pro kit with v2.0 basestation and controllers.  installed it in same room on same pc, and experienced loss of tracking consistently.

This is a dedicated VR PC running nothing but Vive and Steam stuff.  i7-6700 16GB 1080 video card.  All drivers up to date.

Playing Beat Saber, one controller would lose tracking everytime about 1/2 into the round, and when tracking regains it's offset from my hand (like it's a floating shadow).  Playing Pavlov would make the ground shift, and sometime even turn the HMD to gray screen while game continues to run on regular monitor.  Playing other games would have the ground jump up to waist high.

It is just unusable at this point.

I also noticed the Vive status window tells me my basestations are too far at 5.65m instead of 5.50.  Not sure if moving them closer together would fix is, but it was never an issue before with v1.0 basestations.

Any other suggestions on how to fix this?

• 4 weeks later...

Replacing the 1.0 with 2.0 basestations solved my problems. I had tried four 1.0 basestations and having same tracking issues. Finally replacing it with 2.0 basestations fixed all issues. Very weird.

Finally the tracking issues were solved but other issue arose. Very low resolution with tge wireless Intel WiGib adapter. Be very careful using it with a mainboard which doesn't have the correct PCIe slot. See other thread. HTC Vive Pro Wireless Low Resolution.

Which version basestations are you using? I used 1.0 and were prette far apart. About 4+ meters. With normal Vive it worked perfect bit with Vivo Pro it was a disaster. Finally had the change to try 2.0 basestations. And it solved the problem. Reflective sufuses lile my 47 inch TV isn't even causing issues.

So in my case the new basestations definitely solved the problem.

Archived