VIVE Pro tracking out, original works fine

Raging Beard

I have not overclocked at all, I have the 9 dot one, I just bought a whole set and got them like 2 weeks ago. I'll give you some other data when you go to the room map like the grid thing. Sometimes the sensors will face opposite even though they are facing directly at each other, I've tried wireless and wired. The thing is it works for the vive original set that I got a few weeks ago, but it doesn't work for the pro. Yeah so like on the grid, at one point they will be facing each other and the at one point they will do a complete 180 on each other. I've turned down everything, reset everything, reinstalled drivers and VR, reset VR setting too. I probably could record my screen and everything if you sent me something to send them or upload them to. And like sometimes like I said before, it will be jittery, grey screen in the headset, or it will teleport me somewhere and I'll even be out of the VR box or standing circle. Or I will be very crooked and my looking will be off center. Sometimes when I boot it up one of the controllers says it's not connected even though I reconnect it to the headset and it says it paired. And sometimes in like VR home, the hand will go shooting off into space. Or the hands will glitch up in games. No reflective surfaces. have the base stations perfectly aligned, hardware not a problem, if I play Skyrim VR, and stand still and rotate in one spot it usually has not been giving me a problem, it may glitch up every once in a while but as soon as I do any serious movement it glitches up 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also to add on there are also people in the steam forums having the same problem but the one forum I looked on, the guy solved his and marked it solved because he covered the windows, but there was also other people it did not work for the vive pro. And I am apart of a facebook vive club and there were people having the same issue for the VIVE pro,  but some of the people got theirs solved by covering reflective surfaces which did not work for me because I have a complete open room

Same problem here. Vive is rock solid tracking. Vive pro is super sensitive. Jittery and jumpy depending on how I turn my head, and grey screen just from touching the headset with my hand to adjust it. No reflective surfaces and no overclocking here.

Is this something that can be patched? Or am I thinking right that i will need to just return it? Luckily, I read all the horror customer service stories in the community before buying, so I got mine at the Microsoft Store.

I'm afraid I'm going to return mine, I have 2 weeks left to do so. I have similar problems.

I don't get grey screen, but when I step into Steam VR Home it is all over the place, turning and twisting as I look around, the wands flying around. In game it is not that bad but it's not good. Looking around feels weird and unstable and often jittering. And moving the wands/hands is stuttering.

Same like everyone else my old original Vive works rock solid.

I tried everything too: different nvidia drivers, different settings, turning down quality settings, turning off overclock and more, all with no result. I'm not going to take the risk in keeping such an expensive machine  if it's glitchy like that. Shame, because I did like how it looked and feeled (in VR).

For the heck of it here's my machine:

Windows 10 professional 64-bit

Gigabyte motherboard B85M-DS3H-A

Intel i7 4790K

MSI Gaming X 1080ti

I think I did see a lot of 1080ti's in these posts! 

Weirdly enough I has the same issues on my Pro for first try; I wound up updating the firmware to the controllers - I think there is an update out for them due to the new linkbox HTC is providing with the Pro. Of course you know to plug the controller directly to the USB port on the PC , then open Steam VR and try "Update Firmware". Addtionnally, I had to remap my play area as well - one , or a combination of these things, worked for me.

Let me know if this works.

An update on unplugging one of the basestations.

I replugged the basestation which I unplugged in my previous experiment, and unplugged the other basestation on the opposite corner. This also resulted in a stable head tracking.

But as soon as I got both of the basestations plugged and active, the headset started to lose track.

I think this implies that, at least in my case, the problem is not due to one of the basestation being faulty, nor is it due to some reflective surface within the vista of one of the basestations.

My basestations are the "launch version."

I hope there is a fix for this, because at the moment, my Vive Pro is crippled as a room scale VR device.

Archived