Vive Pro audio quality

Madasafish

It really is hard to understand why we pay a lot of money for this kit, and the audio quality is so poor on the High Def devcie.

I mean, it should be fixable very easily, as applying an equaliser setting to boost bass works well, except that it can't be applied at bootup as the device is not present until SteamVR is running.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wrote:

It really is hard to understand why we pay a lot of money for this kit, and the audio quality is so poor on the High Def devcie.

I mean, it should be fixable very easily, as applying an equaliser setting to boost bass works well, except that it can't be applied at bootup as the device is not present until SteamVR is running.

For me, the quality is fine, it's just the quantity, i.e. VOLUME that is lacking.

Regarding the device not being present, what really blows my mind about that is that even in SteamVR itself, I can't set the Audio settings to automatically switch to the correct device because the device comes & goes. So I set it to Nvidia HDMI audio and next time I come it, it's reverted back to "no change". Every time I start SteamVR I have to remember to make sure my playback device is set to the correct device. Not only that but two years ago when I bought my Vive, this problem did not exist and when I bought my Deluxe Audio Strap it made plenty of volume. Sorry to get on a soapbox, but I think it also a cop-out to blame it on Nvidia because even though yes, I concede that they are the ones driving the headphones, we all know that the sound can be boosted via software because of the various EQ and effects utilities that do so, including for example the bass boost in Windows if you feel like monkeying around with that every time the device gets recreated.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had this crackling sound for a while now ever since i got the Vive Pro, and it pretty much has never gone away which is such a shame for a high-end headset and the price you paid for it. I did however had some really weird success by litterally disconnecting the USB cable from the power hub while the Vive is running and then plugging it back in. This somehow...resets something and fixes the sound completely for the duration. Well...until the next Vive firmware update which thus brings the crackling sound back. 

Obviously not recommended to do this at all, but when you get desperate for a fix and there isn't really one....this is what you resort to. Interestingly enough though, the last update rendered this method unworkable so now i'm just pretty much stuck with crackling sound. I'm consdering now removing the earphone althogher and just using my own wireless headphones now. But...gonna hold off a bit. Something new is coming...

Have you tried switching among the various sound devices that represent your HMD, including the ones that only appear AFTER starting SteamVR? I don't know whether it is the fault of Vive, Steam, Windows or Nvidia (I have a GTX graphics card) or just timing, but I have always noticed (back from when I started with original Vive) some variation in the name of the audio playback devices that appear in Windows. For example, and don't quote me on these exact names, one time it will say Vive Nvidia Audio and another time it will say Vive Pro HDMI. The thing that has been consistent is that (for Vive Pro) if I don't choose the one that most strongly suggests that it is going through the video card, I will hear a kind of scratchy distorted audio that is even worse than I have become used to with the Vive Pro.

Note: I have made the ongoing assertion that the sound of the Vive Pro sucks compared to the Deluxe Audio Strap but my real complaint boils down to it won't play nearly as loud as my Vive+DAS does. 

The implication of making the HMD dependent on the video card for sound is that we must also be sure our video drivers are up-to-date. 

The Windows 10 Start menu works without any issues most of the time. That said, at times, the Start menu might refuse to open or close immediately after the launch. During the initial days of Windows 10, Microsoft had released an official Start menu troubleshooter to fix Start menu issues. For some reason, Microsoft has pulled that troubleshooter and is no longer available. Microsoft has announced that it wants people who use assistive technologies to be able to upgrade to use the new accessibility features in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update. In the Anniversary Update, the Narrator screen reader is improved and new applications like the Edge browser, Cortana, and Mail offer improved accessibility features. Windows users who use assistive technologies (like the narrator, on-screen keyboard, or high contrast desktop theme) may not have wanted to upgrade before these improvements were made.
Microsoft has announced that it wants people who use assistive technologies to be able to upgrade to use the new accessibility features in Windows 10’s Anniversary Update. In the Anniversary Update, the Narrator screen reader is improved and new applications like the Edge browser, Cortana, and Mail offer improved accessibility features. Windows users who use assistive technologies (like the narrator, on-screen keyboard, or high contrast desktop theme) may not have wanted to upgrade before these improvements were made. thewindowsplus.org/ thewindowscentral.com/

• 4 weeks later...

So just revisiting the Vive Pro again recently i decided to try that and well it does look like i got my audio working again on the Vive Pro. I just updated to the latest NVidia drivers, rebooted everything and the NVidia Audio now shows up in the VR settings in Steam. Selected that, and now I got "clear" audio again through the Vive Pro's ear peices. The audio is still nothing to get excited about (i even think the sound coming from the Oculus Quest positional audio is slightly better) and I'm still considering removing the earpeices and using my own wireless headphones, but at least for now it's clear again and the crackling is gone. With that said, Yay.

• 2 years later...