Vive pro missing night mode, has bad "god rays"

dormando

i bought a vive pro and hooked it up yesterday. brand new out of the box  the first thing that stuck out to we were the god rays. i was upgrading from an oculus rift and had never experienced them on that platform. maybe due to the lenses being smooth?  being really honest here it was hard to shake the idea of them just being there day 1.  might be a deal breaker.  i could play games for a few hours without issue and only noticed them sometimes. but, what happens when a game i like has the background/object combo that creates them? basically just deal with it?  ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. 

it's hard to describe but you can REALLY see streaks of light coming from the outer edges in certain situations.  headset was brand new, had a firmware update to latest revision and the issue was super apparent.  i had to look for the resolution upgrade, but noticing the god rays was not a choice.  been using computers since DOS and have been pretty hardcore into high end graphics.  thought the resolution bump would have made a bigger difference, which is fine. but it's pretty minor.  so a grand back in my pocket (bought 2.0 bundle) and slightly worse graphics but no god rays seems like a better choice on a lot of levels.  also why are more than 2 sensors not available yet?  the tracking with an older headset and 3 base stations seems more precise, especially in art apps.    sad to say that i'm a bit underwhelmed, and totally did not expect negatives.  all slight upgrades would have been totally fine but a downgrade when spending $1500, man i dunno..

vive has the money, they need to think about lens replacements ASAP.

third party companies are offering it, but many endusers won't want to tinker with their new gadgets.  so deal with it, or void warranty i guess is the option if keeping the hardware?   might have to think on it a few more days.  kind of bummed though.

• 3 months later...

Had my Pro a few days and god rays is one of the bugs I have to spend time fixing some games virtually unplayable . Night mode does help but I don't want the "warming effect". Also sounds like it auto offs, I'm already having to disable several VR audio inputs to get the sound to work (VIVE Pro Multimedia Audio is crackly and Virtual Desktop Audio doesn't work. Both of which have appeared).

Archived