Vive Pro headset connected but not tracking

DarrinR

My Pro was working fine on Wednesday, but when I tried to use it tonight all I got was a gray screen and headset connectd but not tracking error messages.  Light house indicators on steam VR start off on (green solid square ) and then turn off.  I have changed power management settings, removed USB drivers etc. etc.  nothing has helped.  I can use my original Vive with same setup without issues.  Any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

I also have the same problem. 

Vive Pro headset was working fine the last week and most of today. However, out of no where it just starts losing connection in the games. Gray screens only briefly for about 5-10 seconds then it would go back to working fine. They started happening every 10-15 min or so and now it is permenant. I can't get the gray screen to go away. 

This headset is connected but not tracking, make sure it can see the base station. Keep in mind it is in the middle of the room exactly where it has been detected countless other times before. 

• 5 months later...

Same issue!

Got my pro headset two days ago. After set up i had some tracking issues but got it working.

Yesterday, it worked flawlessly, as expected. But today when i booted everything up, it's all connected but the headset is not tracked and all i see is gray. I even tried with a second pair of lighthouses...

This thread is from april. Please VIVE, give some feedback...

May have solved it by covering my windows with bed sheets. Never had any issues with the 1.0 headset... Is the PRO head set more sensitive, to the point it won't even work in "not ideal" situations? Unfortunately, i connected my 1.0 headset just to see if that still worked, witch it did, before i covered the windows and tested the PRO again... Ill do some testing and report my results...

I can now confirm that the windows are the issue for me. I started the VIVE PRO with the windows uncovered and SteamVR could not track it. But as soon i covered the windows, it started tracking it. How ever, it did also work earlier that day with the windows uncovered during daylight... So daylight seem to be a factor to. which would explain the poor tracking i had the first time i tried it during sun down, but not the next morning....

, SteamVR is an IR based technology - the sun is a giant IR emitter. From the hardware's prospective, it can't tell the difference between the sun and the sync array present on 1.0 basestations - they're both high intensity IR sources that set the timing clock for the tracking system to t=0 - depending on the angles involved, this could be the reason tracking is breaking. Generally speaking, the Vive is like a vampire - it doesn't like sunlight or reflections and sunlight can rapidly damage the HMD's display as the lenses act as magnifying glasses concentrating the light onto a single point on the display. 

Archived