Vive Pro Tracking Issues

MTF

Hello,

I'm experiencing some really terrible tracking issues with my Vive Pro, issues that I did not previously experience with my original Vive. The issues seem to mostly occur in a single corner of my play space, but I notice small micro-slips at other intermittent points in my play space. I've read extensively about this issue, and after trying a multitude of things, I am at wits end. Things I've tried:

A) Using every USB 3.0 port on my mobo. Updated all drivers for them, etc.

B) Buying an Inatech USB 3.0 PCI-E expansion card. Installed drivers propery for it, still experiencing the same issue.

C) Reinstalling Windows 10, Steam, SteamVR, etc.
D) Using SteamVR developer tools to uninstall and re-install USB drivers.
E) Using my Vive Pro on a separate VR-Ready machine. No tracking issues were found on that system.

System Specs:
i7-3770k 3.50GHZ @ 4.2GHZ
Nvidia/EVGA 1080TI

16GB DDR3-2400
ASUS Maximus V Extreme Mobo
850W EVGA PSU

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot / solve this issue would be greatly appreciated. I can provide more information as needed, feel free to ask. I'm really hoping there is some solution to this problem out there, as otherwise I will probably have to return my Vive Pro and resort to the original vive =(.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Thank you for providing your system report, I've forwarded them to where they're being collected. 

Given that you've ruled out the HMD being the issue it comes down to your operating PC or the environment. Given your report of it being limited to specific areas of your room reliably, it sounds like an environmental issue. Some users are reporting that the Pro is more sensitive to environmental reflections than the Vive. This can be difficult to troubleshoot in practice as IR light interacts with materials differently than the visible spectrum. I would first start off by figuring out where in the room the interference happens, and then narrowing it down to specific angles/poses that cause the loss of tracking and correlating that to the surfaces that are visible from that pose. In some interference cases, you can figure out the direction of the reflection by which direction the controllers/HMD mistrack. If it's an issue on the PC side, it could be alot harder to troubleshoot. Nvidia drivers are often a good place to start but given that it does work in some parts of the room, it doesn't sound like the issue is rooted in the driver stack. 

Hello MTF, 

Can you provide a screen capture of your base station setup layup (Go to SteamVR-> Settings->developer and then press Room Overview button) 

Please also let us know which position(corner)and which direction you faced that gave you a tracking issue? 

Thanks. 

• 4 months later...

David,

Please elaborate on your following comments:

"...narrowing it down to specific angles/poses that cause the loss of tracking and correlating that to the surfaces that are visible from that pose." 

and

"In some interference cases, you can figure out the direction of the reflection by which direction the controllers/HMD mistrack."

So when we identify a pose that causes tracking loss, the reflective surface causing the problematic reflection from a surface will be within the line of sight of the front of the HMD at that angle?

And please elaborate on what how we can use the direction the controllers mistrack to identify the problem. Lets say I turn towards Corner 1 of the room, and the virtual room slides towards Corner 2... how do I use that information to identify the reflection?

Hi,

I also experienced "micro-slips" with my new vive pro, even in Steam VR home. I believed it was a tracking issue and I tried different solutions. In particular, I tried different USB ports, bought an Inateck PCI card, added sheets to cover reflective surfaces etc... Nothing changed. In the new steam VR beta, I realized that these "micro-slips" corresponded to vertical pink (purple ?) lines in the time frame graph. I guess these lines represent "dropped frames" (not the red ones, the pink ones).

Yesterday, I uninstalled MSI afterburner. That was the solution ! Since then, I read elsewhere it is important to deactivate monitoring options in this software. I will try to reinstall MSI afterburner tonight but deactivating its monitoring options. I guess any monitoring softwares may cause such "dropped frames" issues.

By the way, I have many reflective surfaces in my play room (door window, screen, glass of desktop tower) and this is not a real issue. 

, thanks for publicly reporting your solution. We'll keep that tip in our back pocket. As you experienced, it can be very difficult to diagnose VR issues on PCs because each operating environment is unique and OEMs often windows with a ton of "customizations" that can impact VR performance in ways that can only be debugged with brute trial and error. Were you able to test after burner with the monitoring option disabled?  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for this late answer. I reinstalled after burner and yes, my problems disappeared after having disabled all monitoring options in this software. 

Again, I have several reflective surfaces in my play room and they were not responsible of these dropped frames (or maybe occasionnally).

Archived