Vive Pro audio maxed at about 50% compared to DAS

paulasheville

I've updated the firmware of my Vive Pro, cycled everything, rebooted, have SteamVR beta, and the volume of the headphones still are at about 50% of the volume of the headphones of the DAS at 100% system volume.

Of course I'm seeing many other reports of this, but no fixes to date seem to be working. I'm planning on returning this unit and don't have much longer to do so.

I've noticed that enabling "gain reduction" in the SteamVR settings doesn't seem to do anything, which makes me think that it is locked on with the Vive Pro. With the Vive, gain reduction keeps the volume below a certain level to keep from blowing the speakers. Even with volume at 100% it has no effect on the Vive Pro headphone volume.

Yes, I have the volume maxed on the headphones as well as in windows system volume and application volume. I managed to get the volume a bit higher by using source audio that is higher, but it just made it that much more apparent how "tinny" and lacking in base they are compared to the DAS headphones.  With the DAS headphones or my own $50 headphones, with system volume maxed it hurts my ears. I compared and the Pro volume is about 70% at most of DAS and other headphones at max volume. And extremely lacking in bass even after firmware update.  This is with me pressing the headphones against my ears too, so it's not that they are not sitting flush.

Well it looks like I'm seeing some of the horrible HTC support firsthand that I've read about elsewhere online. The only response I've received is "are you sure the volume on the headset is not turned up?".

I'm assuming the reason for the lack of professional and timely response on this issue is because there IS NO response possible since HTC shipped crappy headphones or non working AMPS with their  supposed top level headset.

Archived