Do I need to buy all the accessories for the Pro to use it?!

Salty_seadog

Just picked up a vive pro, and have been trying for hours to get it to work. I only want to use a gamepad with games, and watch some 3d movies so I opted not to get all the other stuff.

Anyway just got off from someone on chat, and they said I need to buy a cart load of other accessories just to watch a movie with it, or use it to play fallout with a gamepad. Is this right? 

Anyway, if I have to buy a bunch of stuff, what do I need to buy? 

Thanks.

You need to get the basestations as they track HMD and controllers position. I believe you also need to own the vive controllers as well.  Also it's not my business but why would you get a Vive pro, only to play games with gamepad and watch movies is beyond me.  Once you get into VR with positional tracked controllers, there's no coming back to gamepads :) 

, There are two Vive Pro SKU's, an HMD only upgrade SKU for those who already have lighthouses and controllers from their original Vive kit, and a SteamVR 1.0 starter kit for those who don't have SteamVR 1.0 equipment. Both the Vive and the Vive Pro require basestations to work.  If you require help getting the SteamVR 1.0 accessories pack, I've PM'ed you with an   address of a team that's best able to set that up. 

On a side note, it's worth mentioning that many titles don't support gamepads and require full motion controllers - most controller experiences will be listed as "seated" experiences. 

Archived