Grey Screen after 5 min of play, headset loses tracking

terbrujc

I was finally able to play for 1 straigth hour... I thougth I fixed it! but then it crash again...

what  I did was re-install the ViveProHmdSetup.exe as admin (rigth-click run as adminstrator)..

I did not even remove the already installed.. Launch steam as admin too...

But now back to square 1, I read that setting the camera to a lower frequency migth help, or even disable it... When I tried to lower the frequency, the application prompt it needs to restart and the settings comesback to original 60GHz   :-/

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, an hour is much longer than anything I have gotten.  I did get to play for 15 to 20 min the other night and was excited but the issue happend again.  I am still very frustrated by this.

I also disabled the camera function but nothing new.  I may try to install the app as admin too.  By any chance, anyone here who has this issue have an ASUS motherboard?  I am reading similar issues with people who have these boards and the USB drivers that come with them.

I have an ASUS motherboard as well... here's my rig :

Motherboard : ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3

CPU : Intel i7 2600K @ 3.4 GHz

RAM : 24 GB

GPU : EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 FTW

Nvidia driver : 397.64

USB3 drivers ASMedia :  10.0.16299.431 / Microsoft Windows / 2018-05-02

Base Station : version with 9LEDs

Distance between base is 4.87m and fully centered

I did not use the ASUS ASMedia USB3 driver since it was 2016..  :-/

My base station and remote stay connected and green when the HDM lost connection... Even waiting, the headset never come back... When it work, there is no lag at all anbd no flicker..... 

I did try to cover EVERYTHING in the room, windows are covered, i'm in the basement... I tried all usb possible.. delete all VIVE device and reinstall... 

Is there any support tech who is reading this that can help?

Sounds exactly like what is going on with mine.  I was hoping someone from tech support would be on this forum to help but I haven't seen it in this thread yet.  I also opened a ticket up with support directly on Tuesday but I have not heard anything back.

I have update for you... I was able to make it work with support today...

First step (after all the one we already all did like you) was to completely unplug my 2nd screen from my display card. That makes it work more than usual, like 30 mins...

But then, we found out that my rig works like a charm when by mistake the camera did not get detected. So playing without the camera makes it work for me...

You can try to disable the camera in the setting...

But what we did after we notice that was to plug the link box into an USB2.0 port behind the computer. Camera got detected and the message "device could go faster is plug into an USB3 port" is shown in the device pannel.

Now, everything works at least but the problem is not solve since I need to makes it work in the USB3.0 port.

HTC support now ask me to contact Steam support since we did identify the problem that is coming probably from the camera's driver, they might provide me another one since the "default camera driver" is not working for me. Steam are the one responsible to provide drivers for SteamVR...

At last, I can play with my headset now... My 2 daughter did play more than an hour each one back to back... (that was a good test) ;) Now it's my turn and the controller battery are dead! lol

I hope this could help you out...

If not, open a direct chat with HTC support, the service was impressive, no stress and the goal was to make it work!

I'll let you know when I'll get an update from Steam...

NOTE : do not forget to mention HTC support all the step you already did, that will speed up the process, they trust you and do not make it for nothing. One thing you might try is also downgrading you video driver but I did not need that step..

Good luck!

You can try to buy an PCIe USB 3 hub card...

(something like this : https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM)

I will do it since I tried all possible driver for motherboard usb3 component...

Steam could not help me since the driver and SDK are provided by the vendor (HTC)... Steam only distribute the driver... But they oriented my on my usb 3.0 driver since everything works for me on USB 2.

Maybe you can try different driver from Microsoft catalog... Or check usb setting in the bios..

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=asmedia

Good luck!

Dear terbrujc,

Since you are using Asus mainboard just chekcing are you overclocking your RAM?

If you are, try not to and set it back to default speed and see what it will come out with the result.

Thanks.

Another thing I noticed while testing yesterday.  When I use the USB3.0 ports, the headset losses tracking until a reboot of SteamVR or the connection board.  When I swap to the USB2.0 ports, the controllers lose connection and will not come back until a reboot of SteamVR or the connection board.

Archived