Grey Screen after 5 min of play, headset loses tracking

terbrujc

I checked the BIOS settings and I am not overclocking the RAM.   Yesterday I disabled my AC Wifi router in my house and was able to play for 60 to 90 min.  I have never gotten past 30 min before.  Thought I was in the clear, then the issue occurred and kept happening frequently after each reset.  So I am back to sqy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good news, although I do not want to call it solved yet until I get more playtime but it appears I may have corrected the issue.  I bought this at the recommendation of other threads I have seen.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I played for an hour last night and an hour this morning and no issues. I even plugged all devices and monitors back in the PC and set the SteamVR settings back to normal for this last hour.  AC Router is back on as well.  I think the culprit was my ASUS motherboard/ its USB3.0 drivers and ports.  The controls feel more responsive now too. I didn't realize I was supposed to be able go to the PC desktop on a center button push and be able to navigate. That never worked before I started used the PCIe USB3.0 device either, just didn't know it.  One side note, it does not seem like I can use the camera with this device.  At least says the camera it is not recognized.  But if this fixed my tracking issues, I am willing to make that tradeoff.

• 8 months later...

I was having the same issue. I have an Asus X99-AII motherboard. It all started happening when I updated to the new firmware just a few weeks ago. There must be some sort of power saving feature knocking down the USB port speed or something, enough to interfere with transfers the Vive needs. Here's how I fixed. I moved the USB for the link box to a USB 3.1 port away from all the other USB ports in use. It detected and reinstalled the Vive usb drivers and walaaa! Havn't had an issue yet. Hope this can help a few people. Also I was going to go check in the bios to see if there was a USB or some sort of power saving feature I could turn off in bios. Also to note, I am overclocking my RAM and you should check to see if your board automatically overclocks the memory and compnents. Asus deffinitly does this right out of the box wthout you knowing. It will enable XMP right away most often. My I7 6850k was overclocked to 3.8ghz up from 3.6 on all cores automatically. This CAN cause issues so make sure to check, especially your bootstrap setting. It should be at 100mhz. Check.

Archived