Thunderbolt 3 compatible with Vive Pro?

Sir_Froster

So my gaming laptop has a Thunderbolt 3 port, which as I am reading around is some form of mini display port, and I wanted to confirm that given an adapter of USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) to DisplayPort 4K@60Hz then I should be good to go? It never occurred to me that my laptop would not have a display port so I am in a bit of a panic as to what to do and any advice would be welcome.

Hi

My new iMac Pro runs old Vive with a thunderbolt - HDMI cable + USB & the new Vive pro with a thunderbolt - mini displayport so you should be ok with a good quality cable ( e.g. Aerofara). I read somewhere that adaptors were not so reliable.

JL

• 4 weeks later...

, What's most important is to look up the specifications of your laptop and ensure that your Thunderbolt port can actually output Displayport 1.2 - no adapter or cabling solution will work if your chipset simply won't support the required output. We've been recommending this adapter and this 3-foot cable for people with compatible USB-C ports; it's also listed as being compatible with Thunderbolt 3 and should work if your chipset is compatible. You can probably find a cable that does it in-line but we haven't tested any of those solutions firsthand - you'll generally want to stick to lengths under 5 feet when using DP. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived