Monitor "Input Not Supported" on multiple runs of SteamVR

Stu

The first time I run SteamVR on a fresh boot, I have no problems. Everything loads up correctly, and all is good with the world.

If, on the same boot, I have quit SteamVR and then tried to run it again, my main monitor goes black with an "Input Not Supported" message. As the little SteamVR window appears on my main monitor (dual monitor setup), I'm therefore unable to edit the settings directly from my mouse/keyboard/monitors. I have to put on the headset, view the desktop, use the controller to open the settings and drag the window onto my secondary monitor, and then take the headset off to adjust things using the mouse/keyboard.

If I exit SteamVR, and then reboot my computer, everything is back to normal and the main monitor will work as expected (for the first run of SteamVR).

, this may be very specific to your setup. Additional monitors are known to not always play nicely with SteamVR and often times the easiest solution to to unplug one when using VR. It could be caused on the software end by the configuration of your graphics drivers and windows settings. On the hardware side, it could actually be the way your monitor itself communicates to the GPU when It will unfortunately likely be very difficult to isolate this. 

Appreciate the response. I get that it's tricky to troubleshoot, but any thoughts as to why it would only happen the second time that SteamVR is run? Is there anything different that is happening on multiple runs of the VR client that could cause this? I'm not really expecting a solution here, but have my fingers crossed that you might have an idea that I'm then able to explore further.

I've been thinking about it a bit more since my original post, and wonder if it could do with the fact that the monitor in question is plugged into a DisplayPort output via a DVI to DisplayPort converter (I have older monitors that don't have DisplayPort inputs). Might play around with this a little more tonight.

, adapters and converters are hit and miss at best. This may center around HDCP - specifically something referred to as the "HDCP handshake problem". Basically when you alter your display properties or display modes, your GPU will preform a handshake protocol with all of the devices that are requesting an active connection. In some cases, that handshake can fail resulting in behavior that's similar to that which you described. 

Archived