I feel like I bought one giant BUG

Favid_Feynman

We're currently looking into some bugs reported with the current Nvidia driver set; it remains unclear if they're related to your experience.

There exists two devices because you're able to select which driver handles the audio (USB vs DP). The same was true with the original Vive, except with HDMI. Depending on your configuration there are Pros/Cons to each option, hence why you're free to select either option. Removing the ability to select either option would result in a widespread support issue because some setups are dependent on the ability to choose the audio path.

Between the app, all of the middleware (SteamVR, Nvidia, onboard audio, ect...), and Windows settings combined with all of the hardware specificness (drivers, USB hosts, ect...) there are so many dropoff points unique to each PC that it can be very difficult to troubleshoot why things aren't automatically falling into configuration. I would still recommend sticking to manipulating the audio device panel when things aren't working automatically - It's the easiest way to simply disable a device that's interfering with the audio routing. I vary rarely use SteamVR's audio settings and only really manipulate Window's settings - it's much more reliable across a wider range of hardware and SteamVR won't be able to properly route audio if the underlying windows settings are incorrect. When using PC's that are stubborn, I typically just play music through the HMD using youtube so I verify from my keyboard that audio is being routed through the HMD before I walk over to put it on. 

Windows 1803 has introduced UI/UX  updates to the audio preferences which may be exacerbating the issue. The new update makes it more difficult to access these configuration pages.

It's also worth pointing out that a current limitation of the Unity engine is that it is unable to hot swap audio devices. You must restart Unity apps when you alter the output. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,  :robotmad:

I had exactly the same feeling about a week ago !  ( giant BUG  )  

My audio was not working properly.  Disconnecting issues .   Crashing issues .  Tracking issues .  Microphone issues .   Camera issues .   YOU NAME IT.      Now I don't have any of those.   Here is what I did ...

I created completely new partition on my hard drive JUST for vive pro ! I don't have anything on this partition but freshly installed windows 10 +  vive pro softwares.  I don't even have any antivirus programs.  Nothing !

Now everything works just fine. 

I am not saying this would solve your problems. I am just saying it did work for me and worth trying.

Yours,

Objectivity

• 7 months later...

Just thought I'd update this thread. I quit using my Vive because it was so buggy it was not enjoyable to use. Last weekend some kids were coming over so I decided to set it up and give it a try for some silly stuff like Richies Plank Experience. Didn't expect much useage.

Upon connecting it I was greeted with numerous prompts for updates including firmware. I updated everything and lo and behold for the first time ever it just worked. Every single time. At 5 AM in the morning the kids were still up and playing....

Now I just need to resolve the infamous flashing red light issue on one of the basestations, but at least when I start a game I have audio and video every time.

Is it a red light on a 2.0 or 1.0 station? You're still likely within the 1 year mark of purchasing the unit (I assume based on your post history), you should certainly RMA the base station and get a repaired/swapped unit ASAP; I would encourage you to not wait unitl you're outside of the warranty window to get it replaced. 

We've worked with both Valve and Nvidia to make improvements and fix issues - please keep in mind that we are first and foremost a hardware manufacturer and Vive desktop units are a collaberation with other partners. Things such as SteamVR and Nvdia drivers are outside of our direct control and we must work through our partnerships to see updates and bug fixes. 

Thanks David. When I go to settings > base stations it says 1.0. I purchased the original HTV Vive less than a year ago at the same time as the HTC Vive Pro, so that I could steal the base stations from it, since there was no way to buy base stations at that time.

From the other thread I just read HTC doesn't do advance replacements so if I can buy them on their own I'll just buy a new one. Not worth the trouble to ship it back.

Can I mix and match version 1 and version 2 base stations?

Archived