view inside headset turned red

Geosunnydale

Hi, all going swimmingly (vive experience is really life altering) until in the midde of walking the plank in Richie's Plank Experience the view in the headset went red. I can't get the pc (laptop) to stay in "direct mode", every time i choose "enable" (from the steamvr settings) it just tells me to reboot steamvr and then message comes back that it's in extended mode all over again. I don't have any other monitors attached. Going (more than a) little crazy. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

, I just wanted to know if you run those games downloaded from Steam works?

If do so, have we tested out the Vive port app again did the same issue still occur? Because in my case I have it resolve by doing a reboot after I uninstall and reinstall the Vive desktop app. I am not really sure what it cause it.

Hi  - so basically you're stuck in 'Extended Mode', which treats the Vive headset as another monitor. I'd guess that's why you saw red in the app, because you were seeing something from your laptop screen.

Let's start with basic troubleshooting. A number of people have this issue when their graphics drivers aren't up to date, so make sure you've completely up to date. Once those are installed, reboot the laptop and restart SteamVR.

If that doesn't help, you might also want to try plugging the HMD into a different HDMI port (if you have an alternative). Sometimes your laptop's motherboard/on-board graphics will output to one HDMI port, and the GPU to another. You obviously want the one outputting the GPU. You can check this in System Report - here's how to get that running in Windows 10/8.

If none of this helps, I'll probably have to refer you to our Customer Care team so they can get more detailed with you. Here's their contact page, which includes live chat.

Hi "banburz", I can get some games to run from Viveport (those that i downloaded straight from there), but as soon as I start up any steam games it view goes red again. I will try the uninstall/reinstall vive app--am assuming that won't loose the library? Thanks!

Thank you, Stephen, I'll do my best to follow that--the laptop only has one hdmi port, but I'll check the link you provided, etc, and will check back in with the progress. I've tried the live chat feature a few times, but no one shows up on the other end...figure they're very busy. :o)

Archived