Which 1080 Card?

Bighouse

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this question. I'm convinced the Vive is the way to go over Occulus for my particular situation, but I'm not sure which video card is the currently preferred card. I'm looking at, likely, getting a version of the Nvidia 1080 GTX, but there are so many different manufacturers now for that card. Gigabyte, Asus, Zotac, etc....is there any site that compares the differences and performances of these similar cards? Is there any consensus amoungst Vive users which card works best or has the nicest features for use with the Vive  HTC?

There are indeed so many cards,  - I'd agree with , go to pcpartpicker.com to make a 'build' and you'll be able to see if your chosen card is compatible. Lots of user reviews there. Also TomsHardware.com is great for really in-depth reviews.

In the end though you can't go wrong with a card from one of the 'big' names. It's mostly a question of price and some specific features you might want to have. Hope you are happy with whatever you pick up!

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up with the EGVA 1080 GTX FTW card. I just received the Vive HTC yesterday and haven't had enough time with it to dial it in and get it all set up- though I've started the intro demo with the large white "portal" lab.

For some reason, one of my controllers doesn't show up in VR. It's stuck on a solid blue light.

I'll be heading back to my office, where the device is located, to start to learn more about it this afternoon.

wrote:

I ended up with the EGVA 1080 GTX FTW card. I just received the Vive HTC yesterday and haven't had enough time with it to dial it in and get it all set up- though I've started the intro demo with the large white "portal" lab.

For some reason, one of my controllers doesn't show up in VR. It's stuck on a solid blue light.

I'll be heading back to my office, where the device is located, to start to learn more about it this afternoon.

Congrats on your new card. For the controller, try to re-pair it. To manually pair the controllers, launch the SteamVR app and from the menu, select Devices > Pair Controller. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. Let us know if you continue to have any issues. 

• 2 weeks later...

HP, Dell Alienware & MSI have partnered with HTC Vive. Since MSI are the only GFX producing company, it would seem logical that MSI will be the card of choice. It would also seem logical that MSI will gear their drivers toward the Vive.

Incidentally for anyone else seeing this; We keep being told about minimum specs to run VR. I haven't received my new gaming laptop yet, so I'm using my Vive on a 6yr old self built PC. HONESTLY, I'm still getting a really good experience from it. Zombie Trainer works flawlessly as does Mount Wingsuit (awesome game BTW).

Actually 98% of current Steam & Vive games & software run pretty well on my old PC.

So what's in it?

AMD FX8320 Black Edition, not OC'd. (approx £120 new)

Biostar TA970 Rev 3 motherboard (approx £65 new)

16GB Kingston Value DDR3 rated @1333mhz, but runs closer to 860mhz. (approx £46)

Zotac Nvidia GTX 750 Ti (as little as £70 new)

I have more problems with bugs in the Steam VR software than I do with my old PC.

I've been waiting for VR for 32 years, ever since I was one of the first to buy a ZX81. Even with this lower spec PC. I can tell you that, for me, the wait was worth it.

Okay , you've done it now. You mentioned... the ZX81. Major kudos, sir.

Who needs VR when you can get this hot looking piece of kit?

(That's not your standard ZX81 either, kids. This monster's rocking the 16K expandable RAM pack for real power.)

And fully immersive, 360-degree realistic graphics? Pah. All I needed to scare me stupid as a kid was this level of 3D...

... yeah, we've come a long way in a generation. ;)

Archived