Microsoft Surface Book 2 to HTC VIVE PRO HMD KIT- HELP HELP HELP!

andrewtric

Just got my new headset, can't seems to set it up maybe its the cabeling issue, anyone familiar with this? I am using Microsoft Surface Book 2 i7-8650u, 15", 16gb, 256g Ssd, NVDIA-GTX-1060 6gb, Windows 10 .

According to Microsoft, the default display was the Intel 620 graphic card, and the NVDIA graphic card kickin when the system needed it. Any idea to make the NVDIA a defaul graphic card?

Having issues 208, can't get it connected tried different cabels.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please help! 

1. I first tried to connect my HTC VIVE PRO HMD to my computer through below setting. Using a BELKIN MINI DP > HDMI + HDMI ADAPTER > MINI DP to my computer, and It doesnt seems working the error 208 is still showing. My headset has this red light on the left

2. And I've tried another option connecting the Link box through my MINI DP > HDMI CABLE (The white BELKIN cable on above photo) to HDMI  ADAPTER > USB C (Through the adapter below) And still not working...

3. My Third go is to get the MINI DP MALE TO MALE cabel - (eBay link HERE) Hopefully this will work!

, I have a few comments:

1. This setup did not work because HDMI and Displayport and not interchangeable in the context of a VIve Pro. The HDMI standard simply cannot output the bandwidth required to drive the Pro's displays. No HDMI device or adapter will work with the Pro in any configuration. 
  2. Same as above
  3. I have no experience with this cable but it's on the right path. The cable needs to be Displayport 1.2+ and able to transmit a minimum of 20Gbps. The three foot variant of this cable has been proven time and time again to reliably work and it's the only one I'm comfortable recommending: http://a.co/jlheIhy

On a broader note, the surface 2 is geared towards portability and not power. It seems like that series maxes out at GTX1060 chipsets. The 1060 variation is under the minimum recommendation of a GTX1070 and some experiences may be heavily supersampled down. Overall, this is unfortunately not the best machine for a Pro. 

Edit: I'm typing this from mobile so I missed some of your message. Here is where you modify the default device in the Nvidia control panel. 

You are amazing! I should've asked here first befreo trying to be smart and go get all those useless cabels!!

The eBay one has a maximum 8.64Gbps, so that one I am getting will not even work. Can I get THIS  instead (sounds better, it has a 21.6Gbps bandwidth).

Thanks so much! I've tried so many peoplels from Microsoft to HTC Support... I am a designer mainly will use the Vive to draw (Tilt Brush or Gravity Sketch), not so much in Gaming, so hopefully my machine handling it ok!

, I haven't tested that specific cable firsthand since they're not widely available in NA but Lindy is one of the highest quality brands when it comes to DisplayPort. It has a very high chance of working if you get the 1 or 2 meter version. DisplayPort overall is not really designed to carry high bandwidth signals at lengths longer than 2M; it's a short run, high bandwidth standard. 

If you get it up and running you may have to learn how to use the SteamVR supersampling slider. I have a 1060 laptop and sometimes have to use the manual override option in SteamVR's Video settings tab to hit framerate. If the pro ends up not working out, this laptop seems suitable for the standard Vive. 

Thanks again , my first VR experience and hopefully the hardware dont get on my way much!

I was thinking to get the shorter one (0.5m), but with the same DisplayPort 1.2, the shorter one at Lindy only carrying a maximum of Bandwidth:17.28Gbps total in High Bit Rate 2 (HBR2) mode (SEE HERE);

Compared to the one I've bought (HERE), its 3m length but its a newer version that carries 21.6Gbps.

Shoud I just get the shorter one with lower maximum bandwidth? Cheers!

, I think both of them have a good shot at working but it's really impossible to say without firsthand testing. Lindy is a pretty reliable brand overall. As I said above, I've really only been recommending a single brand of cable because it's both reliable and also affordable so I have limited knowledge of other cables. 

hi  It works! Finally! THANKS VERY MUCH!!!The cable is beautifully done in high quality tho, the 3meter version works great too.

Now I have another issue here showing up in my Stream VR- ERROR 202. Wonder how to make the Compositor full screen? I tried to launch few of the VR program it doesnt seems working... One more step to set thing up! Thanks again!

, I'm glad we've made some progress but I'm a bit confused by your answer? Is the HMD functional but SteamVR dispays the fullscreen error message simultaneously? Sometimes the behavior I just describe can occur signialing that that something is forcing the GPU to drive the HMD at the same speed as your primary monitor, usually windows, bios, the display driver, or interference from the onboard graphics. Fixing this can really vary by system and display driver; laptop graphics are a minefield. I will talk to some our care team about ways we can better understand this occurance on laptops. It may be helpful to Google topics about "direct mode" as that may also be relevant in this case. 

Hi  Yes I've googled and tried to run the STEAM VR in direct mode, and yes I made it once (for about 10 minutes of play)! And once I restarted the machine, it gone back to this error 202. 

I've made my screen an extended display, so the computer can detect the VR as a secondary display, but the Compositor still appeared at the same screen, so no matter how i click on it, I still cant make it full screen...

Do you think its something to do with my graphic card? (You can see it runs on my Intel build in graphic card but not my NVDIA graphic card...) Working with Microsoft support team now checking how to get the Steam/ VR run on my NVDIA graphic card

Archived