Base Station 2.0 RMA

jcjohns

I’m sorry for posting about an RMA here, but I haven’t gotten much help through chat support.

I was really excited when I saw the Vive Pro announced, and I ordered the Vive Pro system (with 2.0 base stations and controllers) shortly after it became available. It was delivered on 5/15/2018, and after setting it up I was extremely satisfied with the product and had a ton of fun playing all the VR games that I’d been missing out on.

However after about two weeks I noticed that controller tracking seemed to have gotten worse, and the LED on one of my base stations was red. I didn’t drop or damage the base station in any way; it had been sitting peacefully on a bookcase since I took it out of the box. I contacted HTC chat support on 6/2/2018; they said that the unit would need to be repaired, and initiated an RMA. I shipped the defective base station (at my own expense!) the same day.

According to Fedex tracking it was delivered to their Flower Mound facility early in the morning on 6/7/2018. On 6/8/2018 the HTC Repair Tracking website updated the status from “Awaiting Device” to “Device Received”, and it hasn’t changed since.

I contacted chat support again on 6/16/2018 to ask for an update on my device; at this point my base station had been in HTC’s possession for an entire week. The representative told me that repairs could take 5-10 business days, and to check back in a week. I was about to leave on a week-long trip for work, so I decided to wait.

After returning from my trip, I contacted chat support again on 6/25/2018; at this point my base station had been in HTC’s care for 12 business days, and 18 calendar days. Contrary to the previous representative, I was told that repairs could take 3 to 6 weeks. I wasn’t happy with the change in repair timeline, so I asked to be sent a brand new unit instead of waiting for repair. I was told that this was not possible, so I asked to speak to a supervisor. Unlike most customer service escalations, I was not immediately connected to a supervisor; instead I was told that someone would call me in the next 1-2 days and asked for my availability. I said that I was free until 6pm that day, or noon to 5pm the next day.

The next day I got a call from HTC at 8:30am, which I missed because I was asleep. They called back at 10:30am, which I also missed. Both of these calls fell outside my requested callback times.

I tried to contact HTC chat support again today, but got the message “[it seems to be taking longer than usual. Please wait for the next available agent..]”. While waiting I found this forum and wrote this post.

To make matters worse, HTC does not currently sell Base Station 2.0 individually; they are only available as part of the Vive Pro kit which I purchased. I was frustrated with the amount of time that repairs were taking, so during my chat sessions on 6/16 and 6/25 I asked if I could purchase a new Base Station 2.0 so that I could use my Vive Pro while waiting for RMA; I was told that this was not possible and that my only option was to wait for what seems like an indefinite amount of time.

Overall I’m extremely frustrated with the support that I’ve received so far. I paid $1400 for this product, and for such a premium price I expected that any issues would be promptly resolved. To date I’ve had a functioning Vive Pro system for just 18 days, and I’ve been waiting on repair for 26 days; my base station has been in HTC’s possession for 21 days (15 business days). Can anyone here help?

• 5 months later...

Seemingly at least 70% of people who purchased the Vive Pro (including myself) have had 2.0 base stations break (red light) within a month of their $1200-$1400 purchase. UNACCEPTABLE!!!. I will be returning my broken HTC Vive Pro and will never buy an HTC product again. I foresee a class action lawsuit here. I myself would gladly pay the litigation fees well in excess of what I paid for this broken-as-sold VR system just to see HTC pay for and admit to selling what they knew to be faulty hardware to thousands of hopeful consumers.

Archived