( Vive Pro ) Blackout problem.

Objectivity

Hi,   :robotmad:

I have ...

Asus GL502V

Geforce GTX 1060  ( set to prefer maximum performance )

Power option set to high performance also .

Newly installed windows 10 ( Everything updated including the graphic card driver )  I have nothing on this partition but Vive softwares .

My VR headset keeps going black ! No signal ( red light )

Extremely frustrated cause I got my vive pro recently 

PLZ HELP .

Hi David,

Thank you so much for helping me cause I am extremely frustrated .  My $800 VR headset MUST not act like this.

You asked ...

Are there any error messages ?     NO NEVER .  All is shown as green on the monitor program in Steam VR.

Or other behavior that accompany the loss of signal?   NO .  THE HEADSET LOOSES SIGNAL RANDOMLY RED LIGHT WHILE I PLAY GAMES OR JUST SITTING OR STANDING IN VR HOME OR BIGSCREEN APP.

What is the behavior, exactly?  The behavior is exactly is this >  RED LIGHT ON THE HEAD SET NO SIGNAL BLACKOUT.

Does it occur after a specific time within the HMD NO . IT IS JUST RANDOM.  SOMETIMES AFTER A MINUTES OR SO SOMETIMES AFTER AN HOUR PLAYING.

How do you get it back online?  IT COMES BACK AUTOMATICALLY RANDOMLY . IF IT DOES NOT I WILL UNPLUG EVERYTHING TURN OFF  MY COMPUTER AND ALSO THE LINKBOX THEN IT WILL BACK ONLINE AGAIN.

By the way,   I am using my USB C type port because I had exactly the same problem using my mini display port except when I was using my mini display port I was also getting " Error 108 Headset not detected ".  Sometimes was detected sometimes wasn't !  So I gave up on mini display port.   I don't get any errors using my USB C type except the blackout problem I described .

These are the cables I am usuing ...    

1 . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HNF0L2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 . https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018AX3HJO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Please help cause I am very tired googling .

Yours,

Objectivity

Hi David,

Thank you so much for helping me cause I am extremely frustrated .  Almost $800 VR headset MUST not act like this.

You asked ...

Are there any error messages ?      No Never .   All is shown as green on the monitor program in Steam VR.

Or other behavior that accompany the loss of signal?   No .  Just that .

What is the behavior, exactly?    Red light on the headset no signal blackout.

Does it occur after a specific time within the HMD?  No. It is just random. sometimes after a minutes or so sometimes after an hour or so.

How do you get it back online?  It comes back automatically random.  If it does not then I will unplug everything turn off everything restart my computer then it comes back again.

By the way,   I am using my USB C type port because I had exactly the same problem using my mini display port except when I was using my mini display port I was also getting " Error 108 Headset not detected " .So I gave up on that port .   I don't get any errors using my USB C type except the blackout problem I described .

Please help cause I am very tired googling .

Yours,

Objectivity

Tonight I played for almost 4 hours without the blackout !  Everything was working just fine . The only thing I did was to disable " Intel Virtualization Technology " in bios ...

I am scratching my head now!

I hope this was the problem .    But plz let me know if you think of anything else

, please keep us upto date on how altering this setting affects your stability in the coming days. Another user recently reported that they also experienced positive resolution from a complex issue by disabling this setting - we'll start looking into seeing if we can correlate any behaviors to it. 

Overall, it is hard to suggest other troubleshooting steps given that you're on a fresh installation of Windows and seem to have a pretty good understanding of the hardware. The HMD sounds functional, if it's a hardware HMD issue it tend to simply not work at all. There may be something quirky about the USB-C adapter you're using, can please you provide a link to it? Otherwise, hopefully this ends up being something that can be addressed via BIOS/software settings. 

This note is just to give you a heads-up  

Blackout again !  So, I am gessing it has nothing to do with disbaling Intel® Virtualization Technology  

I think it was coincidental .

Do you want me to send you the  ( vrserver )  log file ?

Yours,

Objectivity

Last night I used the mini display port instead of USB C and was able to play for many hours with no issues . I did not get ( Error 108 Headset not detected ) either .  Strange !

This time I disabled Intel® Virtualization Technology + VT in bios + set the cooling policy in power options to active ! it was on passive.  As you might know  Active = Increase fan speed to cool first, and only slow the processor to cool as a last resort.

Could this be an overheating problem ?  The reason I am saying this is because  when I play at night seems to be ok cause the temperature is cooler here in California.  I remember last time when I got the blackout was around noon time and the temperature was really hot here.    Can this be an overheating problem due to  slowing down the processor to cool as a last resort ?

I will send you the log file as soon as I can .

Archived