Setting Dual Camera to High Resolution

samdes2

Hi All,

I just downloaded the SRWorks SDK and tried to run the Sample Scene. The Resolution seems to be absolute poor. Is everyone facing this issue? Is there a fix to this apart from getting external Camera?

Regards,

Sameer

Hi DanY,

Understood. However the Visual effects sort of dont improve the Resolution and instead will make the scene look slightly cartoony. I might be wrong but thats what it felt from the video you posted.

Also I need to build a high res AR application using this. So thinking if this is the limitation of the dual camera built-in or something that can be controlled. From your response, I understand it is not adjustable. But I am really surprised that HTC did not consider high resolution for these HMDs.

Regards,

Sameer

I have the same issue, I wanted to build an AR application and was suprised how bad the resolution of the build-in camera is (that was my post about it).
I´m currently looking for an external camera, I also considered using the ZED Mini, but I´m not quite sure yet, since their support wrote me this:

"The Unity plugin of the ZED Mini is tested with the original Vive and the Oculus Rift, however, it might not work with the Vive Pro out of the box.
For this reason, the provided mounting support is only designed for the Vive and the Oculus.

The ZED Mini uses its HD720 images to fill a 90° (H) x 60° (V) FOV in the headset."

Also I found this article, which also might be interesting for you: Vive Pro vs ZED Mini

If you want, we could stay in contact and exchange information a little bit, since we´re having similar goals I guess ;)

That comparison has many inaccuracies and omissions, just one is the latency which has been halved (and work continues there to reduce it further). Again, there are many new use cases to use the Pro cameras for: augmenting virtuality, scanning your real world and using it in your virtual world ("mirror reality") and of course having real world depth functionality in your virtual world etc. Some of which don't require high resolution.

The Pro isn't an "AR" hmd, so all those 2D AR use cases you're considering porting to a 3D "AR" hmd probably won't work as you envision and it also wouldn't be fair to compare to upcoming 3D AR hmds.  That being said, using the VIVE  Pro to prototype for future devices is another use case some developers are currently using it for and the SRWorks SDK could certainly evolve over time to support more than what's currently available.

Hi DaKenpachi,

I had really thought that Pro would have good res cameras. Unfortunately it's not. I will try the Zed mini next. Lets definitely keep in touch. However for the application that I am trying to develop, I might be able to get away with low res. Not the best but maybe I would. So I am still going to give it a try. Keep me posted about your development with Zed mini and once I start with zed mini, I will try and catch-up with your speed.

Regards,

Sameer

Heyho samdes2,

I am working on a AR application for higher education and I was also somewhat disappointed by the quality of the Vive Pro cameras. It looked a bit more crisp from the example videos.

Better image quality is not super important as we are in a planning/experimentation phase but we consider switching to the Zed Mini when we enter live operation involving students.

Could you, and maybe DaKenpachi aswell, keep me posted about your progress with your applications and especially the Zed Mini?

Archived