Red Blinking LED on Vive Pro Base Station 2.0

Bighouse

Mirroring what we've repeated several times in this thread, a red light on a 1.0/2.0 base-station indicates a mechanical issue that will unfortunately requires physical service. There unfortunately exists no end-user fix to these types of errors.

While Valve manufacturer 2.0 stations, as a reseller, Vive will books the repair RMA. You'll want to copy the S/N off the back of the unit and go to www.vive.com/support, click "contact us" in the header, and then opt to speak to a live chat agent and request a "basestation 2.0 RMA" due to the red error message. If the unit is still under warranty, the repair/swap will be covered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi 

I havent used my vive pro for a month or so. I fired it up and one of the base stations has this blinking red light and i cant get it to work. Is there any guidance on how to fix this yet?

Thanks

Gary

sorry just seen that this is a physical issue and needs replacemnet

, A blinking red light on 2.0 station indicates a mechanical issue. Copying the last 3 or 4 staff posts in this thread, the only way to fix this issue is to RMA the device by collecting the serial number off of the back of the unit and requesting an RMA via our live chat. While Valve manufacturer 2.0 stations, we book the repair as the reseller in these kinds of scenarios. 

To contact live chat, navigate to Vive.com/support -> contact us -> contact us. This will connect you to a live chat agent who is authorized to work within your global territory. 

I am an engineer, if you told the cause of the malfunction, I could fix the malfunction myself, is it really hard to describe the problem?
- I bought 5 sets from you, the last time was a problem with the wireless adapter, the support service could not help me and offered to send for replacement, and this wasted time and money, I had to fix it myself!
- Just write the reason for the malfunction!

- Base station 2.0 are highly engineered devices that require aircraft-grade precision manufacturing to achieve the narrow tolerances required to support Steamtracking. To my knowledge, I'm not aware of any cases where somebody has successfully repaired a 2.0 station outside of an authorized repair center; they're pretty specialized devices. 

Because of our warranty period, most 2.0 stations that have been resold by HTC to date are still under warranty; it's definitely best to set up an RMA when experiencing issues with a 2.0 station.  Although Valve manufacturers the stations, we book the repair as the reseller. 

1.0 stations had a higher reparability as there were two motors that could sorta be user serviced for some operations. Now that everything is integrated into one heavily custom spindle, it changes that repair outlook. 

- 2.0 stations are designed and manufactured solely by Valve, not HTC. We're resellers in this scenario and the stations are a component within a kit. Your feedback is better directed at Valve and their channels as it's their component that people in this thread are having issues with. We provide warranty service for all of the stations we resell and handle the booking process but we simply don't design or manufacture the component in question. We certainly capture data on issues people have with Valve components and report back to Valve but those reports are not granular to individual user feedback - if you want Valve to see your feedback you should provide it to them via one of their official channels. 

Base stations are mechanical devices that operate at ~3600+ RPM and need to operate within very narrow timing contestants. The deal with SteamVR tracked devices is that you get higher precision tracking with the tradeoff that that precision is enabled by an external mechanical device. Mechanical devices come with an entire suite of constraints. As long as base stations have moving parts and aren't solid state - they'll be vulnerable to mechanical issues. This is why most companies doing consumer VR are targeting inside-out.

***The only way to repair a non-functional 2.0 base-station that's resold by HTC as part of the Vive Pro kit is to collect the serial number off of the back of the unit and contact a live care agent specific to your region via www.vive.com/support -> contact us -> contact us. If your 2.0 station was sold by Valve, please contact Valve for support***

• 1 month later...