Vive Grey screen problem. Really need help. Unplayable after 20ish minutes

MWilliamGoody2303

So I returned to one of my threads from some months ago to bring up this issue, but I don't know if it's internally flagged as solved or something because I'm not getting any dev responses anymore. I explained my issue in my last few messages here: http://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/Tracking-issue-with-controllers-Is-this-normal-behaviour/td-p/15503/page/2?__woopraid=F4i4bZfZHUbo

I know there are many threads about this already but I just can't find a solution and I don't know if my best option is some type of RMA, but this is why I would really appreciate some customer support advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Cable is being drawn up to ceiling then down again via VR hooks that were purchased on Amazon.

Computer Specs:

ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming (I'm aware of the USB problems with this motherboard. I've recently purchased the specific Initeck card the Vive support have recommended to solve problems with this board and it hasn't helped)

I7 6700K

GTX 1060 6GB

16GB DDR4 RAM

Two of the ports are being used on the graphics card. My primary monitor is connecting via a HDMI cable which is converted to DisplayPort on the graphics card end (so, it's occupying the DisplayPort port on the card), and the Vive is connected to the HDMI port. I have a secondary monitor as well but it's connected to the motherboard's VGA port.

You are attempting to use 2 graphics controllers simultaneously when they were not designed to work together.  

To use 2 graphics controllers simultaneously, you would need to have a special GPU designed to handle that like the Nvidia SLI stuff. 

If you attempt to use 2 graphics controllers simultaneously, the operating system may get confused and keep switching between the 2.  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU_switching

Thanks for the suggestion but it hasn't helped.

Hi, thank you for responding to this thread. I would really like some input on this as I'm absolutely certain this is a temperature issue which is the same conclusion many others came to in the other massive thread on this issue. I live in the UK where we don't typically have air conditioning in our homes so I don't have a permanent solution here, but there are a few points of evidence I want to note here:

1.) This has only been an ongoing issue since summer started. Before then I never had this issue once.

2.) Last night at 2:00 - 4:00AM it was noticably colder so I played VR games continiously for 1 - 2 hours with absolutely no issue. This is the first time I've had no issue since I first started having the problem.

3.) If I wait until I get the problem and then stick my face (while wearing the headset) straight in front of my fan on full blast the issue goes away entirely, and will then start reappearing after a few minutes. This isn't a solution though as I can't be sticking my head in front of my fan every 3 minutes when playing.

I've tried getting into contact with Synthesis, the other Vive Staff member who helped me with other issues in the past but he hasn't responded to my PM yet. I'm starting to get the impression - like some others that I've seen - that there's a heat defect with at least some of the Vive's that have been manufactured and HTC are being silent about it. I want to make it clear that in it's current state my Vive is 100% not working acceptably. On an average day I can't play for more than 30 minutes which I think many would consider to be unusable, and something needs to be done.

I would very much appreciate any type of help you could give as I've been researching this issue for months and nothing has helped.

Thanks for the suggestion but it hasn't helped.

Hi, thank you for responding to this thread. I would really like some input on this as
I'm absolutely certain this is a temperature issue
which is the same conclusion many others came to in the other massive thread on this issue. I live in the UK where we
don't typically have air conditioning in our homes so I don't have a permanent solution here
, but there are a few points of evidence I want to note here:

1.)
This has only been an ongoing issue since summer started.
Before then I never had this issue once.

Sorry to hear that it wasn't as simple as unplugging that cable. :(  Anyway, if your assumption is correct, and if it's the temperature that is affecting your vive, then you need to be controlling the temperature of the play area. Keeping it below, say 25 C, would probably be a good idea.  

I think there are 2 things you may need to consider.

1. Is it an internal heat issue?  Like overheating components?

or 2. Is it the heatwaves interfering with the beams that the base stations are projecting?   Light passing through warmer air would likely get redirected in unintended ways as far as tracking is concerned.  I would think that is probably why the tracking is affecting.

Archived