Vive Wireless Adapter PCIE Slot

JohnnyBlaze

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost any M.2 to PCIe adapter will probably work with the Vive Wireless Adapter's WiGig card. I used this one below. It is extremely thin and the cable will bend flat no problem. I slipped it under my motherboard and only had about 3/16" of space or less. I used an x16 because I wanted flexibility for anything I might want to do in the future, but a x1 or x2 should work fine. I suggest a long cable like this one below to be on the safe side if you are not absolutely positive about where you are going to put the cable.

M.2 to x16 PCIE adapter:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RP77A2945

I am attaching an RP-SMA female to male 24" extension cable (see link) to the outside jack that the antenna would normally connect to on the outside of the computer. I am then going to run that through a equal size hole in my computer and mount it (the cable comes with a nut). It will then look like the other RP-SMA antenna jacks on the outside of my computer. So I will attache the VWA antenna to that. That way the WiGig card will be mounted inside the computer and I can still detach the antenna if I need to. Plus it will look more finished than having the thick antenna cable running into a hole in my computer, or worse yet, having the WiGig outside.

Be careful to get the proper cable as some are reversed on the inside. There is a male and female pin size connection inside the outer threaded connection, so you need to be careful to order the right cable and not have the male and female parts reversed.

RP-SMA cable:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253052774203

Any M.2 to PCIe adapter will probably work with the Vive Wireless Adapter's WiGig card. Everything works great. I used this one below. It is extremely thin and the cable will bend flat no problem. I slipped it under my motherboard and only had about 3/16" of space or less. I used an x16 because I wanted flexibility for anything I might want to do in the future, but a x1 or x2 should work fine. I suggest a long cable like this one below to be on the safe side if you are not absolutely positive about where you are going to put the cable.

M.2 to x16 PCIE adapter:

Graphics extension cable M.2 M2 to x16 PCIE For PC Mining item 9SIA2RP77A2945

[Note: Search on the descriptions and you should find exact parts. Spam filters didn't like the links.]

I am attaching an RP-SMA female to male 24" extension cable (see link) to the outside jack that the antenna would normally connect to on the outside of the computer. I am then going to run that through a equal size hole in my computer and mount it (the cable comes with a nut). It will then look like the other RP-SMA antenna jacks on the outside of my computer. So I will attache the VWA antenna to that. That way the WiGig card will be mounted inside the computer and I can still detach the antenna if I need to. Plus it will look more finished than having the thick antenna cable running into a hole in my computer, or worse yet, having the WiGig outside.

Be careful to get the proper cable as some are reversed on the inside. There is a male and female pin size connection inside the outer threaded connection, so you need to be careful to order the right cable and not have the male and female parts reversed. RP-SMA cable:

RP-SMA Male to Female WiFi Antenna Adapter Cable 60cm for ASUS TP-Link Router

[Note: Search on the descriptions and you should find exact parts. Spam filters didn't like the links.]

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I am looking very hard to come up with a salution and if it works post it, results you will sell alot more adapters...

I am running a alienware 15-R3 I7 7700HQ laptop with a 1070 card 16 gig of ram. It says The thunderbolt runs 4 lanes..

Do you think the thunderbolt3 to 16 xPCIe Enclosure will work? I have found 2 that sound like they should.

StarTech.com Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Expansion Chassis

Node Lite (Thunderbolt 3 Pcie Expansion Box)

Anyone try this yet? 

Breakout boxes are indeed unsupported. We're really not commenting on M.2 converters except to say it's outside of our stated use case (motherboard with one free 1x or 4x PCI-E slot) but as you've seen above, it has worked for at least a few people.... We certainly don't recommend mounting it in a way to could cause damage to the other components in your PC and wouldn't recommend purchasing the adapter unless you meet the free slot requirement. 

Archived