Vive Pro cameras rarely work

JustinH

Hi - 

I've been trying to debug flakey camera problems.  Our Vive Pro HMD has been used flawlessly for several months as a VR display + audio.  But we have only since last week been trying to use the front-facing cameras, and they've never worked for more than a few minutes at a time.  Often, they don't work at all.

When they are working, as someone takes the HMD off to give to another person or you place the HMD onto the tabletop, the camera feed stops working. 

After using SteamVR to remove all USB devices and power-cycling the PC and link box, sometimes we get all devices to come back, sometimes not.

We have another Vive Pro whose cameras works just fine, and have never had to uninstall-reinstall drivers or move USB ports.   I have tried swapping link boxes and cables with this functional HMD, but with no improvement.

Just wondering if there's any process we can try to determine what the root problem is?

Thanks!

Further data:  currently, if I keep the Vive Pro HMD still and reboot it via the SteamVR interface, the cameras start working again.  I can pan around and everything's good.

However, if I then rotate the headstrap hinges up and down, the camera feed stops working and will not work again until I reboot the HMD again.

I've been able to replicate this process 10x times in a row.

, based on your description it sounds like a physical problem. Have you tried re-seating the HMD's data cable on the HMD side? The diagrams below are audio related but they show how to remove the compartment cover that houses the HMD's data cable after you've removed the foam face cushion. Try reseating that cable and seeing if it improves the behavior. 

, based on your description it sounds like a physical problem. Have you tried re-seating the HMD's data cable on the HMD side? The diagrams below are audio related but they show how to remove the compartment cover that houses the HMD's data cable. Try reseating that cable and seeing if it improves the behavior. 

Hi David - Thanks for the suggestion!  Unfortunately, I tried this process and things are getting worse. 

Here's the play-by-play:

1) To start, I had the HMD disconnected and performed the reseating as shown in the instructions.

2) After connecting it to the linkbox and booting up the computer, the video stream was working at first.

3) As soon as I rotated the harness hinge a little bit, the video stopped. 

4) I reseated the plug again to see if it would restore the feed (while still connected to the powered linkbox)

Now the linkbox appears to be dead as well - the green light won't come on and the PC no longer recognizes it when plugged into any USB ports.

, this is really outside of the types of issues we've seen thus far with the Pro. Perhaps there is a short circuit forming within one of the circuits that drive the integrated headphones. I'd recommend going down the RMA route as all indicators appear to point towards a hardware issue. Please use our live chat to arrange the RMA and let us know if you have any difficulties with the process. 

wrote:

Hi David - Thanks for the suggestion!  Unfortunately, I tried this process and things are getting worse. 

Here's the play-by-play:

1) To start, I had the HMD disconnected and performed the reseating as shown in the instructions.

2) After connecting it to the linkbox and booting up the computer, the video stream was working at first.

3) As soon as I rotated the harness hinge a little bit, the video stopped. 

4) I reseated the plug again to see if it would restore the feed (while still connected to the powered linkbox)

Now the linkbox appears to be dead as well - the green light won't come on and the PC no longer recognizes it when plugged into any USB ports.

As a test, please swap the hmd cable from your working Vive Pro to the Vive Pro with the issue. It may be a failed cable and this would help to confirm it. Please also ensure you are using USB 3.0 from the link box to the PC, not USB 2.0. 

Archived