Wireless adapter incompatible with RYZEN cpus

Mentalunicorn

Getting it here, too, though not to nearly the extent that others are.  I'm getting, on average, about 2ish hours between crashes (though the first one was 2 minutes in).  I burned through 1.5 batteries today and I think it crashed maybe 3-4 times.  No BSOD, just blue screen in the Vive and PC locks up. 

Processor - 1800X

Mobo - Asus ROG Strix B350F 

GPU - 1080 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to add a counterpoint here that I had no issues testing mine for about 3 hours tonight.

Specs:

Threadripper 1950x

64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz

Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme x399

SLI EVGA 1080Ti Founders Edition (newest 411.70 drivers)

Windows 10 (latest patch)

HTC Vive (original). 

Everything hooked up and ran great the whole time. My only two issues were:

1) I lost mouse control on the deskop when using BigScreen, not sure if that's a bigscreen issue but it was infuriating

2) Hotplugging the battery didn't work, SteamVR and the wireless utility came back up but the HMD display was dark until I restarted the wireless utility.

I don't yet have the kit to test this with my Pro. I'll be able to find out tomorrow.

Other aside: This absolutely does not work with thunderbolt enclosures either, there must be too much latency because it's barf city despite steamvr showing good frame rate.

I got this reply from HTC Support saying that the HTC Vive Wireless Adapter IS incompatible with AMD CPUs and that they are trying to find a workaround:

Dear Chris,Thank you for contacting US and Canada Vive Support. We always appreciate hearing from our customers!We completely understand the frustration on this issue, Chris. Nevertheless, we would like to explain to you what's going on. In this case, we're afraid the Vive Wireless Adapter is not compatible with AMD processors, therefore, the latency and stutters. We really do apologize for this compatibility issue, Chris. However, you can be sure we're doing our best to check on a work-around with this.

I have replied asking for more details. It's hard to imagine that with the same instruction set and with similar features that AMD CPUs would behave so differently than Intel CPUs. I'd very much like to know what the issue is, under the hood.

Ryzan 7 1800x 3.6ghz, Win10, 8gb ram, SSD, GTX1070

Gunheart: BSOD in 2-10 minutes repeatedly. Played this for probably 4-6 hours before wireless and never had a problem. Crashed maybe 6-8 times so far. Stopped playing Gunheart
Guns'n'Stories bulletproof: no issues played maybe 45 min
Moss: BSOD after 30 min (only once so far)

Gorn:  no problems so far (30 minutes)

DCP watchdog violation

Yeah, for the record, there's no statement of "Intel CPU required" in the Vive store, and the manual lists system requirements including:

"Processor Intel® Core™ i5-4590/AMD FX™ 8350 equivalent or better"

All of these are 8350 or better.

I don't want to read too much into that message from support, but to say it's "incompatible" is bothersome. You can't sell people something for $300 and then retcon the system requirements to fix your bug.

I'd like an update with a root-cause analysis ASAP, HTC. Is there a path to solving this bug or is it really incompatible?