Extending Vive Wireless Adapter Antenna - In case anyone wants to know....

MrJeager

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this post.  I've been holding off buying this thing until someone actually tried it, and didn't just speculate on it.  I've posted on other sites and everyone has their speculations, but I wanted to know for sure.  Even though it is really inconvenient, I might just move my pc into the vr room, and then run extension cables for everything back to my office then (where I usually use my computer).  It will probably cost like $50 for the extension cables.  It might make my vr run better too, who knows.  Thanks once again.

• 10 months later...

Connection occurs with the same normalcy, speed, and signal strength as when the card was still directly on the motherboard. One issue I came across while moving stuff around in the rack is that the connectors seem a bit loose; I'm not sure if it was the USB or PCI at the motherboard, but one of those connections fell out enough that Windows no longer saw the device, even though the light on the card stayed on. Shutting down, re-seating, and powering up fixed the issue. If it's the USB, some more electrical tape should solve that fine. If it's the PCI I'm not sure what to do, maybe put a weight on top of the connector? I think I'll just try the tape and then stop touching it.

• 3 weeks later...

@FlavorousBOB Hey just wanted to say thanks for the post, moved to a new house where my sleeping area is in an attic above my play area room and thanks to you can use my wireless headset in both locations now. One thing that I came across with this setup on my rig was that although the PCI to USB extender card is a 1x pci card it would not be recognised in any of my 3 free 1x slots. However I tried it in my spare 16x slot and works a treat. Many thanks Bob!

Glad to have been of service, I hope more people in our situation can be saved some time and hasstle by my efforts. I can't recall which type of PCI slot my adapter is in from work, and the picture I have is too dark to see it. But I'm planning to add another wireless adapter at some point, and I will keep your input in mind when I go to it. I was between an entirely separate adapter and getting a different adapter for the motherboard side that splits the 1 slot to 4 USB connectors, but the issue you came up with will probably push me towards the latter. Thank you.

hmm, sounds interesting. Would be good to make the adapters permanent so I don't have to move the wireless sensor between play areas but as they don't seem to sell the parts separately that would involve dropping another £300 on a complete kit which I don't need. Would be interested to hear how you get on with that though. Thanks again! 

• 4 months later...

Hello I'm a UK virtual gamer, if followed a few forums about this topic but nothing seems to work for me 😞

I purchased a PCI-E Extension Cable 0.6M from Amazon (Found Here)

And also USB 3.0 Type A Male to A Female Extension Cord in a variety of different lengths.

I can get the Wifi chip to power up with the blue light but the headset transmitter will not pair and the HTC Wireless app says "WiGig not found"

Getting really disheartened because I've had to move my PC into another room with no possibility of it being in the same room as the play space, my HTC VIVE PRO is collecting dust. Does anyone have any updates on successful extensions?

• 3 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 2:14 PM, Helsteed said:

Hello I'm a UK virtual gamer, if followed a few forums about this topic but nothing seems to work for me 😞

I purchased a PCI-E Extension Cable 0.6M from Amazon (Found Here)

And also USB 3.0 Type A Male to A Female Extension Cord in a variety of different lengths.

I can get the Wifi chip to power up with the blue light but the headset transmitter will not pair and the HTC Wireless app says "WiGig not found"

Getting really disheartened because I've had to move my PC into another room with no possibility of it being in the same room as the play space, my HTC VIVE PRO is collecting dust. Does anyone have any updates on successful extensions?

Hey there.

I see that you already tried using a USB 3.0 extension cable. I would check to see if it is actually a USB 3.- cable and not simply a cable that "works with USB 3.0". My brother told me a story about when he worked for a computer shop, they would sell USB 2.0 cables that were marketed (by the manufacturer) as USB 3.0 compatible. It wasn't a lie but it was much like saying Xbox 360 games will work in an Xbox One. They are backwards compatible but still don't perform as well. As you may know, USB 3.0 is not only faster but also supplies 900mA instead of just 500mA as does the USB 2.0. This actually may be your problem as it was likely mine. The 500mA is enough to get the blue light on, but not enough to power the card so much that your computer recognizes it.

I must say I was disappointing in HTC for committing anything on their website about the need for our computers to be in the same room as our Vive play area. I like you all was left having to figure this out on my own. I want to thank the posters in this thread for all the help. After a few weeks I finally have my wireless working and am loving it.

Here is what I did.

Order my HTC Vive Wireless Adapter
Literally is on my doorstep the next day (OMG)
Plug it in to my computer, set it up, wonder what the hell is going on.
Extreme disappointment sets in
Hit up this forum and reddit and realize this is an huge oversight by HTC. 
Realize that extending the antenna will result in signal loss, but extending the PCI-e card will not.
Purchase this part (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N38Y799/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and wait a week
Download and 3d Print this model(https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4045975) thank you gullberg88
Drill a hole through my wall and print this handly little mount (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3195432) thank you doppelkeks 
Part comes, get excited, plug it use my usb extension, nothing
Troubleshoot everything, pots, cords, uninstall vive wireless, reinstall...
Second round of disappointment
Research USB 2.0 vs 3.0 and find an actual 3.0 cord (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00C7SA21U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and wait a week
Get my part today, plug it in, turn my computer on.. . nothing....
Take a deep breath, uninstall vive wireless, reinstall......

BINGO!..

works amazingly.

I hope you and others can find the same success!