Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

DLSauron

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea.  Obviously, I'm not a Vive tech ... I'm just some dude ... but I believe it's going to turn out that the "distance" from the GPU has more to do with the problem than the size of the bus, especially on older motherboards.  It's abudantly clear that this tech has been pushed through on "happy path" testing, not vetted the way it should have been against a wide range of real-world scenarios.  Incredibly arrogant.  

I wish that were true, but for me I have the same issue no matter which slot I put it in. And all of my hardware is brand new. I've tried every slot on my board (all listed as 3.0).

Per the manual, the PCIE2 slot must be used for the GPU. I've tried the wireless adapter card in every other slot on the board (PCIE1, 3, 4, 5, 6). I've manually set the slots to be Gen3. I also tried a brand new wireless adapter - no luck. 

Specs again just to clarify:

ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac
Intel Core i5 8600K, OC 4.5GHz
16GB DDR4 3000
Nvidia 1070 SC
Fresh install of Win10 Pro on SSD

My slots are as follow:

- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3) or dual at x8/x8 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE4: x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot

e2411c6a3e.jpg

I had originally tested all slots, and just tested all configurations again to be thorough with no improvement. In fact, the card performs worse in PCIE1/PCIE3, with permanent resolution loss and almost complete inability to load anything. It seems to have the best performance in PCIE4, though that's still the bad performance described in my earlier posts. 

When it comes to distance from the GPU, I can't actually plug it in directly next to the GPU because my GPU covers the 1x slot below the primary x16. PCIE3 would be the next closest, and the second 3.0 slot, and caused far worse lag. 

I will note that if I try to plug my GPU in to PCIE3, my computer cannot recognize the card. The BIOS shows the card connected and recognizes it, but when I load up the computer it simply runs via the onboard intel GPU and cannot recognize the GPU no matter what I do. It's possible that in my case the card in PCIE3 with the GPU in PCIE1 is causing issues because the motherboard is trying to run the two cards as SLI or something? Not sure. 

My slots are as follow:

- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3) or dual at x8/x8 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE4: x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot

I had originally tested all slots, and just tested all configurations again to be thorough with no improvement. In fact, the card performs worse in PCIE1/PCIE3, with permanent resolution loss and almost complete inability to load anything. It seems to have the best performance in PCIE4, though that's still the bad performance described in my earlier posts. 

When it comes to distance from the GPU, I can't actually plug it in directly next to the GPU because my GPU covers the 1x slot below the primary x16. PCIE3 would be the next closest, and the second 3.0 slot, and caused far worse lag. 

I will note that if I try to plug my GPU in to PCIE3, my computer cannot recognize the card. The BIOS shows the card connected and recognizes it, but when I load up the computer it simply runs via the onboard intel GPU and cannot recognize the GPU no matter what I do. It's possible that in my case the card in PCIE3 with the GPU in PCIE1 is causing issues because the motherboard is trying to run the two cards as SLI or something? Not sure. 

I received my wireless adapter yesterday and am having this same issue. I only have a single PCIE 1x 3.0 slot available on my micro ATX motherboard, as the other slot is covered by GPU (the covered slot is also PCIE_1x/3.0).

GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H
Intel Core i5-7500 3.4 GHz

GTX 1070

16GB 2400mhz DDR4

I have read through other solutions on this thread, seems like there is no fix for my use-case. Can anyone weigh in?

EDIT: After rebooting a couple of times this issue seems to have gone away.