Which Micro USB

NomenNescio

So I've found out you can update the firmware of your base stations using a micro usb cable, which is great and all. But I'm wondering which one? I have at least two different cables lying around, one from my PS4 and one from my Samsung Galaxy S6 phone. I obviously don't wat to ruin my base station by using the wrong cable, so any chance someone could enlighten me here?

, there are basically two types of microUSB cables: charge only cables and data cables. You want to use a data cable. Basically, that just means that it's wired to support USB's data transmission protocols. The cables that came with the Vive are data cables and the one that came with your cellphone is also likely a data cable, the PS4 one might be a charge only.

p.s. I actually recommend not upgrading the firmware. The newer firmware have tighter mechanical timing tolerances and some basestations simply display error 02/03 after the update because their rotors aren't spinning at an accurate enough speed to satisfy the newer firmware.  

I only just saw your PS now, and that's very unfortunate. I was banking on the added range of the base stations for my setup The default five meters just isn't enough for me to have roomscale AND access to seated playing by my computer.

Could you just confirm to me, the default range of the base stations is five meters right? And six meters with the firmware update?

, the stated range of a 1.0 basestation is 5 meters. The firmware update improves tracking quality at longer distances but dosen't actually improve the range per say. The range of 1.0 basestations is primarily limited by the range of the IR sync blinkers; that's a hardware dependent limitation. In reality, tracking quality and range is entirely dependent on the environment in which your mounting the stations and things like reflective surfaces will impact your real-world results. Using a sync cable is pretty much mandatory past a certain point but you can only squeeze out so much extra room from it. 

, those are rated to 6m - there has been no basestation side firmware update to improve their accuracy but there was an HMD firmware update that improved accuracy on the sensor side. 

The key part about 2.0 range is that they have a 150°  horizontal FOV. Leveraging that is pretty critical to maximizing their coverage (i.e. try not to stick them in a corner like gen 1 stations). 

When you say I shouldn't place them in a corner, does that mean "Don't place them in the corner of a room" or "Don't place them in the corner of the play space"?

I would assume they still have to placed in the corner of the play space, but (based on your comment) on a flat wall? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm currently planning everything out and I want to be sure I optimize everything.

Archived