CPU usage with wireless

Matt2

When I'm using the wireless headset it all connects fine, but once I start steam VR home my usage jumps up to 100%. Steam home takes up a solid 90% of my CPU with now games running, its framey pixely and choppy, and i don't know how to fix it

, is this behavior limited to SteamVR home beta? What CPU do you have? There are certainly higher CPU requirements for the Wireless kit than wired. 

SteamVR home is still in beta and can definitely max out your resources depending on which photogrammetric environmental model and other 3D flair you have present. The simple fix would be to disable SteamVR home beta by unchecking it within settings. If you want really want to keep it, you can try playing around with the application specific SteamVR super sampling settings and reducing the "SteamVR Home" setting below 100%. You'd likely need to restart all of SteamVR for this setting change to take effect. 

This issue isn't limited to the SteamVR Home but is also present in games like Fallout 4 VR. While that may be a game that isn't easy to run it ran easily at 90 fps previously. The processorI'mm using is an Intel Core i5 4460

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Useless on a I5-8400 with GTX 1080, and the CPU is maxed out even on idle, with visible tracking-like issues (tracking seems fine, but the environment seems to hang for a fraction of a second when head movement begins).

This is bad, and I consider it either a Vive bug, or a big problem not informing customers that the wireless feature requires particular hardware. The I5-8400 is not some old and slow CPU.

If you're using X79 platform
Go to NVidia Control Panel > System Information (lower left) , scroll down on right hand side and look for what it says under Bus details. (If you're using AMD and have this problem, let me know.)

You may find that it's only running Gen 2 PCIe. If you do find this, follow the instructions on this link to force Gen 3 capability. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3135/~/geforce-gen3-support-on-x79-platform

Let me know if that helps.

Thank you,

-John C

Please specify the requirements for the PCIe slot. Minimum version and number of lanes.

Edit: I believe the chipset on my "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC 790-0012no" (VR Ready) is an "Intel H370". From the Intel specs (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/133284/intel-h370-chipset.html) I can see it has a Gen 3, PCIe ports. Yet, tracking of the Vive Pro HMD, via wireless, does not work properly. Image quality is good, controllers are tracked fine, however, moving the HMD around leaves the environment behind, making the experience unsable.

Archived