Have the wireless adapter? Replace the USB 3.0 A to A cable NOW!

Melodramatic

I've been having random studders, dropouts, and complete disconnects which requires me to restart SteamVR. After a while I got really frustrated, seems like there were inherent problems with the wireless adapter.

One day I got disconnected from a VRChat session and was stuck in a grey screen. Rebooted my PC and reconnected to the wireless app but received a "Headset not detected" error with SteamVR reporting error (108). Restarting apps did not fix it, and I reinstalled Vive wireless and SteamVR but that did not do it either. I connected my standard 3 in 1 cable between my link box and headset and that was working fine. 

When I would disconnect the usb cable between the battery and wireless adapter, it would take 3-5 minutes to be able to power it up again. Once both are connected using the USB A to A cable, the light on the adapter would not light up or respond to button presses to wake it up for a few minutes. The power light on the headset would come on for 30 seconds and just shut off along with the display. 

After doing all my troubleshooting last thing I looked at was the included USB 3.0 A to A cable which is a flimsy POS. I went to Frys, got a replacement cable, plugged the wireless adapter to my battery, it booted up and it connected to Steam VR successfully. My studders and dropouts were gone. 

HTC why would you skimp on that important piece? For the price we paid we should get a cable that has reinforced ends. Most of the problems that people are encountering is probably because of the cable. Could have saved us and yourselves a ton of troubleshooting headaches if you dropped just a bit more on it. 

Moral of the story, dont expect anything from HTC and you wont be disappointed. Should have swapped out that flimsy noodle of a cable when I first got the adapter.  

If this fixes your issues, please post here. Happy Viving!

Doesent matter if camera is enabled or not, the vive still loses head tracking and the screen goes gray.

i  tried to turn down refresh rates to 30 instead of 60 when camera is enabled, but after restart of steamvr its back to 60.  Later today im gonna buy a 3.0 A-A usb  but if that does not work i dont know what to do...

This isint a cheap  thing and it does not work..

and i dont see mutch support from htc.. guess they just wanna ignore us and hope we go away.

For the full price ive payed for vive + wireless we shud get some help from the dev  team.

The camera refresh rate being too high is one reason why your headset isn't detected. The other two is either your wireless adapter isn't getting the right amount of power from your battery, which if your stock HTC battery doesn't work its probably the USB A to A cable. Or your mini 3 in 1 cable between the headset and adapter is faulty, which you can test by connecting your long stock 3-1 cable between the headset and adapter. 

It may look like the cable is intact but theres definitely a few loose ends in the cable after a few active sessions with the Vive. Throw $8 to $10 at a replacement beefy USB 3.0 A to A cable and a decent 20k mah battery that doesn't prematurely shut off because of the overheat protection. Dont go cheap on the battery. 

• 1 month later...

Your advice makes sense.  My headsets worked for a week, then they stopped working reliably.  It seems they aren't getting the power they need?  That cable is flimsy.  I am replacing them tomorrow.  I am very confident that it will fix my problems.  Thank you!

It appears I'm having success with a much older usb a to a cable, this is 99% certainly 15 years old so has to be USB1. Unfortunately the cable in question is rediculously short so extensive testing seems like more of a hassle than looking for anothe cable to try with, will update post with findings. 

<edit>The second cable I found was the Vive Pro Link Box to computer  cable and it did really well, 20 minutes of Vox Machinae did not kill it, no gray screens either. I consider this game as demanding as FO4VR, but more stable so it's better suited for testing.</edit>

Just happend to me. The cable failed at the same time as a new release of SteamVR. After initially chasing down SteamVR / driver fixes, I realizedthe problem was with the Vive Wireless... read this forum post, replaced the USB cable, and all is now well. So, the cable can definitely cause problems and it's worth replacing now to avoid future headaches.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...