Wireless Adapter and Europe (unlocking all four channels?)

sebastian_holocafe

Hey there,

I guess this is a more firmware related question, but maybe someone can answer it. The Wireless Adapter is currently being advertised with three channels (support for three common space users). While this is the maximum allowed by frequency regulations in the US, the EU allows the usage of all four channels in the 60 GHz range, opening up the opportunity for four users. Since most multiplayer setups are symmetric, I'd be highly interested in whether there are any plans to unlock full frequency support in the EU?
Would make purchase decisions within our franchise much easier :)

The 3 channel configuration is a hardware limitation of the Intel W13100 itself. This is not something that can be "unlocked" via a firmware or software update. We're acutely aware of the enterprise and LBE use cases of 4 users in a co-located tracked volume, however, this is a limitation of Intel's current WiGig solutions. Chinese SKUs are limited to 2 channels due to Chinese regulations. 

You can leverage the fact that WiGig is a line of sight technology to double up on channels in specific physical layouts which seperate out the players, but these layouts are not suitable for 4 user co-location. 

Thanks for the clarification, David! That truly helps with planning, as there's been a lot of speculation around on this topic. Too bad Intel didn't implement the full range on hardware level, though. I'm wondering if I could possibly co-locate a TPcast, don't know if I can set the frequency band on it, though.

, TPCast uses Wifi frequencies so it's pretty far away from the 60Ghz spectrum. You may be able to use them in conjunction with each other but that's not our intended use case and it isn't something explored and debugged or actively support. Like any RF device, the interference they output is regulated internationally which should help, but as with any high-powered RF transceiver, interference at small scales could be non-negligible. 

It's not like Intel is specifically choosing or failing to implement the full range of potential channels. WiGig is a completely new class of wireless products and it takes multiple years to work through implementation on both a hardware and regulatory front. In realistic terms, we're on a pretty remarkable development trajectory, especially considering in-home 6DoF wasn't feasible only a handful of years ago - many VR communities frequently lose sight of this prospective. 

• 3 weeks later...

TpCast use WiFi 5Ghz channels for data tracking and 60Ghz for the image.

The business edition can support four players in the same room: https://www.tpcastvr.com/product-be

If you use the four 60Ghz channels with the Tpcast I believe that not function at the same time with the HTC Wireless adapter because all the channels are busy.

The Htc wireless adapter must be use all the channels avalaible depending of each country.

Greetings.

- I would want to know whose saying this so I can track that back to the source - the hardware backbone only supports 3 in one space. There are ways to get 4 users in the same room by leveraging the line of sight principle but not in the same co-located tracked volume which has a maximum of 3 users since there are 3 channels supported by the W13100. 

, I'm not very familiar with TPCast's implementation as they're a 3rd party. As there are a limited number of approved 60Ghz channels, you could infer that there could be overlap on at least some of the channels. As stated above, we support all 3 of the W13100's channels in the US and the 2 that are legally approved within China. 

I own a tpcast and that's why I was confident that it worked with 60ghz.

About the W13100 what I wanted to say and I have not explained myself well is that the logical thing is that it would be desirable that at some point there would be a firmware that took advantage of all the 60ghz bands available in each country: 2 in China, 3 in US, 4 in Europe.

Thanks.

Archived