Vive wireless adapter disconnects after a few minutes.

nekmin

2 hours ago, MB Geek said:

And I heard smoking is bad for you as well ...

You think I (we) haven't tried that? LOL  Gimme a break here

Anyone have a Vive Pro, or a 20 series Nvidia card have the same issue?  Since I would find it hard to believe it's EVERYONE that has the wireless (I would expect a greater uproar) and just in this small group it been determined that it's not motherboard/CPU dependent , I'm just trying to find a common denominator.

Sorry mate I did not mean to tell you how to suck eggs, lol!

If you are using SLI then it probably would be a good idea to just remove one of your cards and see if this helps.  Nvidia support for SLI is basically dead now and they would much rather sell you one nice big/expensive gpu.   If you are still using it you may be  also using a pretty old nvidia driver.  SLI and VR have never played well without removing a one card.  But you probably already know this.  Wireless works fine with both my Vive Pro and Cosmos using a gtx1080ti and currently nvidia 436.48.

4 hours ago, TomCgcmfc said:

Sorry mate I did not mean to tell you how to suck eggs, lol!

If you are using SLI then it probably would be a good idea to just remove one of your cards and see if this helps.  Nvidia support for SLI is basically dead now and they would much rather sell you one nice big/expensive gpu.   If you are still using it you may be  also using a pretty old nvidia driver.  SLI and VR have never played well without removing a one card.  But you probably already know this.  Wireless works fine with both my Vive Pro and Cosmos using a gtx1080ti and currently nvidia 436.48.

LOL ... then I apologize also, didn't realize that you were sincerely trying to help.

I have taken the extra card out and had the same issue.  I update the driver to the latest almost as soon as they are released and none have made a difference.  Also despite everyone and their mother claiming that 'SLI is dead' I see significant verifiable performance gains in almost everything I run and that includes in VR . That being said I appreciate the effort to help but it's definitely something deeper.

• 1 month later...

POSSIBLE and I'm going to stress POSSIBLE FIX!!!

So after reading of other people having the issues and realizing that it's not limited to a CPU, motherboard, video card type or whether it's a base Vive or Pro I saw that someone had said they did not have the problem using the Cosmos, which doesn't use the lighthouses as it has inside out tracking.  So that got me thinking that therefore it's a lighthouse based issue.  Saw that people were having the problem with both 1.0 and 2.0 lighthouses, so that made me think that communications with the lighthouses is getting wonked.  For giggles I hooked up the original link box for the cables via USB 3.0 and the power plug with nothing else attached and then installed the bluetooth drivers and setup for the lighthouse power to be controlled via Steam VR.  Tested that the lighthouses were powering up and down when starting and closing Steam VR and they were.

The main problem I always had was after starting a game, within 7~10 minutes the HMD would go grey and I would here Windows losing and re-finding the hardware which could take anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute or two, and would get the grey drop out randomly after that.  Now?  I have tried it over a dozen times, rebooted, the whole enchilada and now at the same 7~10 minute mark (I use fpsVR as a timer) I get a 2~3 second black screen and it comes back ... and then no other drops during the whole play session, and at the moment it's been EVERY TIME, which it me is WAY more livable.

Don't hold me to this as everyone's mileage may vary and I thought that changing the headset channel fixed it and it ultimately turned out to be wrong, but if everyone can give it a shot (as I'm guessing most people still have their link box sitting somewhere) and report how it does, maybe even if it doesn't work for everyone it can narrow it down.

• Thanks 1

OK. Pretty disappointing update, and also a story:
I contacted Vive, they sent me a replacement cable after a bunch of local testing. Tried the cable, no difference, still failed. I contacted them again and they asked me to send them the unit for inspection. Sent them it, they insist the unit isn't damaged. So now i'm no better off for having contacted them and despite my testing on various setups, locally and on other computers, across loads of MB, CPU configs, it's still not working as it should.

I'm going to try MB Geeks solution above and see where we are.

If Vive/HTC are reading this though - c'mon guys! This is just horrible! This has taken months so far, so my only possible take-away from this is that you're running the clock down on this problem!

Edited by Galatoni

• 2 weeks later...

I have 16 Headsets all with wirelesses, and I have the same issue on all of them, The screen goes black and the headset led goes to red, sometimes the screen goes blue,  sometimes I loose one controller or 2, most of time by unplug and replug the battery cable it helps solving the issue, some other times I have to restart steam VR...

I'm being in contact with HTC, but their advices to replace the cable disn't work, I have Azrock 390 motherboards, 2080 GPUs, I7 9700 coffe lake CPUs, 16MB rams... 

HTC is really deceiving me, despite all of your comments no one has took the time to reply and to give advices...

i'll keep you posted conccerning the answers of HTC... 

@jagibson @Synthesis

• Like 1

OK. Quick update. I've just received an email back from HTC (again). After sending some reports in (again) and coming to the same conclusion (again) I found the following out, and their response seems to agree. Rather than start the wireless app first, start SteamVR first and THEN the wireless app. This appears to fix some weirdness with the controller detection (specifically if you've got knuckles controllers) and also, seems to prevent the crashes we've been seeing.
I've no had chance to test this for any length, but managed a 40 minute boneworks session with no drops at all, which is a fair bit longer than normal.

Probably take this with a pinch of salt though since the HTC people seems to just want to wash their hands of it. I've still not tried MB Geeks solution as I can't find my controller box.

Edited by Galatoni
Spelling.
  • Like 1

I think I was premature with the above advice regarding launching SteamVR and then the wireless app. It doesn't appear to work. At this point, HTC have not yet asked me for the wireless adapter log files, but after routing through them I discovered that it's entirely possible it's overheating. The last temperature readout prior to crash was 77 degrees and then the module loses tracking. So as unlikely as I initially determined overheating was, it looks like it might be the cause. I've reached out to HTC with the logs in question and we'll see what they say.

Edited by Galatoni
spelling

Well here we are again. I've just been contacted by support, and they're requesting that I send the device back to them.... again. I mean, i'm not sure what they're going to do differently that they didn't do last time. They insisted they did a proper test of the device and found nothing wrong. This is such a waste.

At this point the only thing that would work is a class action lawsuit ... they are selling a $300~$360 product with a widespread and known issue and do nothing about it.  Just in this thread alone is enough to show that it's not any one PC setup or incompatibility, but inherent in their hardware.  Anyone know where to start one?

I have made a discovery that may correct many peoples problems.

I'll put it simply, turn off ALL lighting on the room, ALL LED's and florescent lighting, im talking pitch black room, mouse/keyboard basically anything that emits light, shut it off or block it. Yes, that includes the ceiling lights, clock light, router light.. everything.

Edited by It'sToast