Sensor mounting question, not parallel

lucasbuck

I just got my Vive and mounted the sensors on stands. I would like to hook them on the wall, but on the wall I need there is a bump out half way across the wall. So where one sensor would go is one foot behind the second. Will this throw things off?

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's hard to picture. When I say one is behind each other, they are still about 6-7 feet apart, just one is out further than the other. I've included a picture of the wall with the sensors on stands, but think of it this way.

________|                      X

X

'X' being the sensors.

, So you have them facing the same direction? Unfortunately that's not how SteamVR 1.0 is designed to work and that setup wil likely not work well, Here are the technical three reasons why this setup isn't ideal:

• SteamVR 1.0 is based on an optical sync system -
    an approximation of how it works. The basestations have to be pointed at each other so they can sync with each other. This is one of the primary reasons we tell users to mount them in the opposite corners of their playspace. You can overcome this to an extent by switching to the wired sync cable but it still means that the devices (HMD, controllers) won't recieve sync signals if your body is blocking line of site making you super vulnerable to tracking breaking.
  • Occlusion - the primary reason the system uses two basestations mounted opposite each other is because it means that you have 360 degree coverage. With this setup, tracking will break if your body blocks both of the stations which is likely due to the angles involved. 
  • Range - those basestations have a ~5M range so you're cutting off alot of the effective range of that basestation in the back.

The ideal setup is to have the two basestations pointing towards each other from diagonally opposite corners of the playspace  ~6-8 feet off the ground.  You want your playspace to be between the two basestations. 

They are on the same parellel, but at 45 degree angles so they cris cross at a 45 degree angle. The picture didn't show that well because of the angle I took the picture. So I would be better off doing opposite walls, pointing towards each other?

X                     |

|

X  |

, Yes - with gen 1 tracking, you want the stations on opposite corners diagonally facing inwards towards each other. 

X                     |

|

X  | with the stations facing each other 

Archived