How do I update waveVR on the focus?

mgstauffalt

wrote:

Hi ,

Do you mean you see "2.1.0" on Viveport Launcher?

SDK 2.1.8 is to provide developer to build your content, it's encouraging but no force to do.

All contents should be backward compatible even they have built on earlier version.

Any issue do you observe?

Thanks.

Yes, I see 2.1.0 in the Settings | More Settings | Device Settings window.

But if I build with 2.1.8, a newer version, will it necessarily run on the Focus with 2.1.0? Is the SDK somehow forwards-compatible?

Hi ,

Yes, the SDK is backward compatible with previous version.

Like most SW release methodology, there might be an incompatible case for additional feature added starting from some version. 

For example, we support arm model (simulate 6Dof position) from 2.0.32, so if your content is built earlier than this then it won't include the new feature.

Of course, if anything you find not compatible then please raise to us since it's bug and need to be fixed.

Thanks.

So if I'm building my app using 2.1.8 and there's some new feature or fix in it, and the Focus has 2.1.0, then I may run into trouble? But that's assuming the SDK uses some dylibs installed on the device. If it's a static build then it shouldn't matter. I don't know per say that the WaveSDK difference is causing a problem, but it stood out as a difference. So are the builds using WaveVR static or dynamic? If dyanmic, shouldn't I upate the SDK on Focus to be safe?

Basically as I explain earlier, there is no requirement your app need to build on latest SDK and run w/o problem.

As proven data, many of publised apps on Viveport were built based on previous version and they all ran quite well.

We will do compatibilities testing on every new SDK release with previous apps built by earlier version to make compatible.

Of course, there might be bugs occasionally and it should be highlighted and get resolved.

Thanks.

Yes that makes sense of course. However I am still wondering what happens if I *do* build my app with an SDK version that is newer that what is installed on the Focus? If the SDK relies on dynamic libs installed on the device, then there could be problems such as different behavior or missing. Or, does my app include only static WaveVR libs from my build? 

Hi ,

Here is some info. regarding our architect design of content v.s. run-time.

Hope this info. is helpful.

SDK Overview

VIVE Wave™ SDK provides a suite of Virtual Reality APIs to introduce VR content applications on mobile device to independently work with VR accessories. VR content developers have no need to pick up the specific VR hardware knowledge and can concentrate on the content core design.

VIVE Wave™ SDK adopts the client-server architecture. The content application in client side works with server via IPC connection and the IPC interface is backward compatible. The client content application does not need to re-compile for the further server upgrade. They are totally transparent for the maintenance of version forward in the future.

Archived