"VIVE Wireless needs SteamVR installed first."

SMUG

I get an error message that reads exaclty as the title says every time I try to run the VIVE wireless setup. I've tried putting it in the SteamVR file, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR, and I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam itself, but none of those things have worked. Does anyone know how to fix?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has there been any solutions to this found yet? I'm having the same issue. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling SteamVR (with PC reboots inbetween each).  Steam/SteamVR are both on the C: drive as well. I also tried running the installer from the SteamVR application folder as well. 

• 2 months later...

SteamVR is not being detected because it's not installed as the Administrator user. Vive really should look into the SteamVR check this installer does as not everyone has steamVR installed as Administrator.

To fix this issue I did the following

1. Close Steam and SteamVR if it is running.
  2. right click on Steam and run as Administrator.
  3. Goto your Library and find the SteamVR app. Its Should be under VR category.
  4. If steam VR is already installed Right click Properties -> Local Files -> Uninstall this if it is installed
  5. Install SteamVR
  6. Once complete right click viveWirelessSetup.exe and run as Administrator and it should work now.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/22/2019 at 3:44 AM, burninmedia said:

SteamVR is not being detected because it's not installed as the Administrator user. Vive really should look into the SteamVR check this installer does as not everyone has steamVR installed as Administrator.

To fix this issue I did the following

1. Close Steam and SteamVR if it is running.
  2. right click on Steam and run as Administrator.
  3. Goto your Library and find the SteamVR app. Its Should be under VR category.
  4. If steam VR is already installed Right click Properties -> Local Files -> Uninstall this if it is installed
  5. Install SteamVR
  6. Once complete right click viveWirelessSetup.exe and run as Administrator and it should work now.

OMG thank you so very much for helping me out! cheers :)