Beware, vive wireles distance is abysmal.

Pyros20821

Just figured I'd give warning. The wireless addon does not go through walls, period. If I put my hand on the wireless adapter it cuts out. If I walk out of the room it cuts out. I have turned off ALL wireless devices in my house and encounter the same issue. This may work if you are in the same room with the receiver but if you put one single wall in between or even a hand, it will not work. What a waste of time and $300. This is disappointing. I'd say HTC should be ashamed but they are used to delivering sub part quality products, shame on me for buying into it. 

Also, I'm in a remote area and have no other people around me. I dowloaded a wi-fi scanner to show networks in my area, with all my devices turned off there are none...zero.

This product is garbage for the money. 

Go back to the drawing board HTC and don't come back till you give a crap about customers!

I'm also sorry that the wireless adapter did not meet the expections you had formed about the product. 

The wireless adapter uses 60Ghz technology which is strictly a line of sight technology. All WiGig technology is line of sight and we've been pretty clear about that since we first teased the product. You need to be within the 150x150 degree FOV of the PC side transceiver which is reflected in all documentation and marketing. At no point did we ever claim that it could travel through walls or past the recommended range and have always been clear that it's a LOS technology. 60Ghz simply isn't able to penetrate materials any product based on 60Ghz will have the same LOS limitations; especially these first generation products. 60Ghz isn't really even able to penetrate a sheet of paper in most instances. 

I would recommend spending additional time researching if VR solutions meets your use case prior to purchase so you can have reasonable expectations about the products. The use cases for 60Ghz are pretty well known in the VR community. Your 60Ghz performance is in no way related to your WiFi performance; those parts of the spectrum are very far apart from one another (2.4/5ghz VS 60Ghz).

You're being intentionally ignorant. I did not say it was advertised as being able to go through walls but HTC is not doing a good job of pointing out what I consider a normal expectation when wireless technology is mentioned. 

I looked over the main HTC Vive page before purchasing the device through Amazon. I also looked over the Amazon page. No where does it explicitly point out this is a line-of-sight technology or that any obstacle will hinder performance. In fact, the first line of the product description on Amazon is "Let nothing hold you back." Welp, walls and any other obstructions, including your own limbs, can hold you back in this case.

"I would recommend spending additional time researching if VR solutions meets your use case prior to purchase so you can have reasonable expectations about the products. The use cases for 60Ghz are pretty well known in the VR community. Your 60Ghz performance is in no way related to your WiFi performance; those parts of the spectrum are very far apart from one another (2.4/5ghz VS 60Ghz)."

I would recommend spending additional time ensuring the product page and sales information released offer a clearer picture of what the limitations are for the device. It would only serve HTC at that point because now you’ve got my return to deal with. No skin off my back, I’m getting a full refund including shipping.

Further, it is arbitrarily to say 60Ghz technology is well known in the VR community. That is merely your opinion, however even if we treat it as fact we know the VR community is small compared to the general population. With wireless technology like 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/LTE etc being much more common, it is easy to imagine the general community mistakenly thinking 60Ghz would function similar to other traditional wireless technologies. 

The point of this post was to highlight what I would consider uncommon knowledge for this product.

You're being intentionally ignorant. I did not say it was advertised as being able to go through walls but HTC is not doing a good job of pointing out what I consider a normal expectation when wireless technology is mentioned. 

I looked over the main HTC Vive page before purchasing the device through Amazon. I also looked over the Amazon page. No where does it explicitly point out this is a line-of-sight technology or that any obstacle will hinder performance. In fact, the first line of the product description on Amazon is "Let nothing hold you back." Welp, walls and any other obstructions, including your own limbs, can hold you back in this case.

"I would recommend spending additional time researching if VR solutions meets your use case prior to purchase so you can have reasonable expectations about the products. The use cases for 60Ghz are pretty well known in the VR community. Your 60Ghz performance is in no way related to your WiFi performance; those parts of the spectrum are very far apart from one another (2.4/5ghz VS 60Ghz)."

I would recommend spending additional time ensuring the product page and sales information released offer a clearer picture of what the limitations are for the device. It would only serve HTC at that point because now you’ve got my return to deal with. No skin off my back, I’m getting a full refund including shipping.

Further, it is arbitrarily to say 60Ghz technology is well known in the VR community. That is merely your opinion, however even if we treat it as fact we know the VR community is small compared to the general population. With wireless technology like 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/LTE etc being much more common, it is easy to imagine the general community mistakenly thinking 60Ghz would function similar to other traditional wireless technologies. 

The point of this post was to highlight what I would consider uncommon knowledge for this product.

"I would recommend spending additional time researching if VR solutions meets your use case prior to purchase so you can have reasonable expectations about the products. The use cases for 60Ghz are pretty well known in the VR community. Your 60Ghz performance is in no way related to your WiFi performance; those parts of the spectrum are very far apart from one another (2.4/5ghz VS 60Ghz)."

Further, it is arbitrarily to say 60Ghz technology is well known in the VR community. That is merely your opinion, however even if we treat it as fact we know the VR community is small compared to the general population. With wireless technology like 2.4Ghz/5Ghz/LTE etc being much more common, it is easy to imagine the general community mistakenly thinking 60Ghz would function similar to other traditional wireless technologies.

@Pyros20821

I appreciate your frustration with the Wireless Adapter. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to determine what is considered a normal expectation by each and every customer, as such opinions can vary widely based on product knowledge, experience and specific needs.

In general, the Vive tracking system requires uninterrupted line of sight between the sensors on the HMD, controllers, etc and the base station emitters. This restriction is not unlike the Wireless Adapter and it's transmitter, which of course, follows the basic trade off of all wireless communication.  60ghz frequency wireless is necessary to transmit the huge amount of data required to display VR smoothly, but the shorter the wavelength, the greater the absorption rate. Of course, for the vast majority of users, this is no obstacle since their base stations and wireless transmitter is set up in the same space as their VR PC.

As you say, the VR community is small compared to the general population, and like in any niche community, there's a lot of niche specific information being shared, rumors, speculations, specifications and so on. We're very proud of our community and their feedback as well as their hunger to learn more about cutting-edge technologies and products in the VR/AR field. In particular, their interest in the Wireless Adapter has been outstanding and we're pleased at the level of analysis and feedback we've received from our users.

We're sorry to hear that the Wireless Adapter wasn't right for you and hope that in the future, you will find our products to be more suitable to your specific needs.

Thank you,
-John C

P.S. We didn't mark your post as Spam. That post was made in triplicate and the system autoflagged it. I've restored your post.

Archived