new htc vive pro - first time setup problem error code 208

humstibumsti

hi pepole,

got my vive pro and busy setting it up. all goes well until it should find the display port, it does not find it. The usb connection is working fine, at least it says it finds it. The display port seach keeps going but it can´t find the displayport and give options to troubleshoot. Thus from the setup menu I followed all the possible instructions of troubleshooting from the htc support site and also from the streamvr troubleshooting site. No luck with any of it.

The error code displayed it 208 no connection to headset. When I skip the headset connection setup, the connection to controllers works succesful, no idea if that info is of any use, but thought to add it.

Also checked the forum for similar errors and tried stuff like cables out, backin reboot, uninstall, re-install drives, whole software from htc and steam. Also tried in steamvr settings the direct mode thing that was suggested in some posts but didn't help. Somewhere else someone suggested to change the power setting of the generic usb hub setting in the device manager to disallow to put the equipment into standby. Tried that too. All with the same outcome. No freakin' dice :p :'(

Some info about my setup:

I have a desktop PC connected via the hdmi port to my hdmi port of my TV, which I use as my screen. 

The displayport cable from the linkbox is directly connected to the same video card (specs below). The link box USB cable is attached to a USB 3 port to my motherboard (also tried different usb ports and usb 2.0 but it never gave problems with the usb finding during the setup menu, when I had it on the USB 2.0 port it suggested to connected it to a USB 3 port which I did). The headeset cable is directly attached to the linkbox port for it in the proper manner and the there is a red light at the headset glowing, audio of the headset is also working. Link box green light is on when i press the power button on the link box.

mainboard: Asus ROG crosshair vi hero 

video: ROG-STRIX-RTX2080-O8G-GAMING installed driver: 417.35 (up to date)

RAM: 64GB CT16G4DFD824A

CPU: AMD ryzen 7 2700x

I have also looked into some of the diagnostics files/info I could find when going through menu/settings. (see below.

It says in the general.txt in german that there are no drivers but I guess it can not find them? When I check windows device usb setting while linkbox is on it does show usb camera headset etc. as listed and they of course dissapear when i turn the linkbox off. however in the steamvr settings it does not show as connected, also not the bluetooth devices, camera etc.

general.txt from steamvr:

SteamVR Version 1.1.4 (1543961514)Steam:	Öffentlich (Public)Tracking:	Kein TreiberOS:	Windows 10 (10.0.0.17763)Direct Mode Graphics:	NVIDIA (417.35)SystemAdmin:	NoAsync Reprojection:	Performance drops:	0/1 0/2 0/3 0/4 0/0User IPD (m):	Not yet implementedDisplays - Extended DisplayDisplay 0: \\.\DISPLAY1 1920x1080 @ (0, 0) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Primary Monitor 0: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0 Generic PnP Monitor

There seems no option to attach a file to posts here (?) and the ROH.txt from steamvr that might contain some usefull info for troubleshooting is to long to add to the post, so how to share here?

What am I doing wrong or can try in addition? Thank you for any suggestions! :)

Error 208 is a generic HMD error message. This error can have a number of solutions, so please work from the list below to make sure you've attempted all available solutions:

• Make sure that your Vive’s link box and the monitor or TV you use as a primary display are plugged into the same graphics card. If you are connected to your onboard display adapter, you will see an Intel HD Graphics device listed in your SteamVR system report. Onboard cards, such as those connected to a PC’s motherboard, will not be powerful enough to use the Vive. Reconnect your Vive to your PC’s dedicated graphics card.
  • Check to make sure you are in Direct Mode by going to Settings > Developer > Direct Mode. Click the button that says “Enable Direct Mode.” SteamVR will restart with this setting.
  • If Direct Mode is not enabled, SteamVR will still work in Extended mode. For this to work correctly, make sure your displays are extended in Windows > Display Settings.
  • Make sure all cables are connected firmly. The power cord on the HMD itself can become loose from usage. To check this, remove the cable panel on top of the HMD by pushing it forward.
  • Make sure your Link Box is installed in the correct direction. The orange tipped cables from the Headset should be connected to the orange ports on the Link Box.
  • Check to make sure you have the latest video drivers.

Thanks,

-John C

wrote:

Error 208 is a generic HMD error message. This error can have a number of solutions, so please work from the list below to make sure you've attempted all available solutions:

• Make sure that your Vive’s link box and the monitor or TV you use as a primary display are plugged into the same graphics card. If you are connected to your onboard display adapter, you will see an Intel HD Graphics device listed in your SteamVR system report. Onboard cards, such as those connected to a PC’s motherboard, will not be powerful enough to use the Vive. Reconnect your Vive to your PC’s dedicated graphics card.
  • Check to make sure you are in Direct Mode by going to Settings > Developer > Direct Mode. Click the button that says “Enable Direct Mode.” SteamVR will restart with this setting.
  • If Direct Mode is not enabled, SteamVR will still work in Extended mode. For this to work correctly, make sure your displays are extended in Windows > Display Settings.
  • Make sure all cables are connected firmly. The power cord on the HMD itself can become loose from usage. To check this, remove the cable panel on top of the HMD by pushing it forward.
  • Make sure your Link Box is installed in the correct direction. The orange tipped cables from the Headset should be connected to the orange ports on the Link Box.
  • Check to make sure you have the latest video drivers.

Thanks,

-John C

Hi John,

thank you for your response, but is this an automated response? Or have you not read my post?

point 1: as described in my post, already done

point 2: as described in my post, already tried

point 3: not in my post but also already tried

point 4: this is a first time setup, they have not been used, cables are firmly attached as described in post

point 5: this is an htc vive pro ,there are no organe indicators, you are talking about htc vive, anyhow as described in my post all cables are attached correctly

point 6: also in my post, is up to date

Archived