Vive not detected [Error 108]

to6y

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, I have not yet used the driver tool because I may have found a work-around and I’m worried if I remove and reinstall the drivers that the Vive won’t be detected at all, like before.

I power on my PC with the Vive plugged in to everything on the link box, the base stations turned on and everything set up. Steam sometimes detects the headset, in which case, great I can play straight away. If steam gives me error 108, I navigate to add/remove programs in windows and in the search bar I type in “Vive” and three programs come up. I click Vive Driver and click modify, which opens up the installation wizard. I click repair, and once it’s done it says I must restart, so I click the restart button. When my PC has rebooted, I run Vive set up and skip through to the detection stage - this is so I can check if it is the HDMI or the USB which isn’t detected. Usually it’s the USB, so I unplug the USB from my PC which is going to the link box, then plug it into a different USB port. I sometimes have to do this a few times. Then my PC will detect the USB. I then click through the rest of the setup so that the Vive setup opens steam VR. Then my headset is detected. This has worked twice for me now so I’m hoping it will give me consistent results.

It’s a bit long-winded but once it’s connected, it’s absolutely fine and won’t give any errors until it’s turned off or unplugged. I hope this can help someone else who, like me, has tried all of the troubleshooting with no results.

It & when it stops working for me, I shall use the driver tool, but until then I’m just glad I can play and don’t want to mess it up lol, thanks for the help :)

• 1 month later...

My new Vive has been working fine since I got it, though the first time I used it I did get the 108 error again. I now find that if I plug the Vive in before turning the pc on, it is always detected no problems. I think another driver was probably causing the issue, and having the Vive plugged in before booting ensures that the Vive is detected before whatever was messing with it.

Hopefully this helps someone! Can’t get enough of Doom VFR :)

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to put this here because I had the same issues and did everything and nothing fixed it.

Tonight I resolved the issue for good.

Before you run through the vive setup, close out of Steam. Navigate to you're Steam application short cut and right click, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Likely somewhere along the long line of Steam app updates, the Devs changed permission requirements, or it's something to do with the way your OS is configured for permissions. Whatever the source, I don't care. I finally won my fight. I'll also have you know that none of the 3 college degrees I have helped me resolve this issue, so don't post silly ego centric things like that, it's been annoying reading all the BS troubleshooting forums with similar posts. 

For windows 10 users, go to installed applications under settings, search Vive, uninstall the software, uninstall the driver (don't run the repair your wasting your time), don't need to mess w the diagnostic file. Close Steam if you have it configured to auto boot upon system start-up. Then Run Steam as Admin and follow the Vive setup.exe advice. ESPECIALLY IF THE VIVE WAS WORKING THEN MYSTERIOUSLY STOPPED.

If you're having to swap USB ports and it magically works one day then doesn't the next, no offense comp sci degree holders, but that's noobish lol and you should know why. Get a mobo that's compatible if this is your issue and verify your processor is compatible too. You'll know what I mean if you've done your research. It's sad how many hours I've sunk into trouble shooting this POS, but it's a pretty good device despite hardware/software issues.

I'm leaving a lengthy post for all the sad folks out there still searching, hopefully your Google character search leads you here.

Best

Jeremy M

After so many hours of re/installing, un/plugging, the solution was to install Steam Beta and SteamVR beta.

What I did with my Vive Pro:

• install Windows 10 (also installed automatically drivers for my GTX1050Ti)
  • install Windows updates
  • plugin your Steam headset
    • all the drivers other than the BCM20703 Bluetooth 4.1 device (integrated in the Vive hub) will be automatically installed
  • install Steam and SteamVR
  • Install Bluetooth drivers C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\tools\lighthouse\bin\win64\vivebtdriver_win10
  • (I did not use HTC Vive Pro installer. It just forces you to create an account at Viveport)
    • note: in a prior installation I had also installed HTC Vive Pro installer and it did not gave me any errors regarding the headset.
  • Run SteamVR to see:
    • Please plugin your headset
  • Then I switched to Steam and SteamVR beta. Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/PGIYo03
Edited by leuko
typo

• 2 months later...
On 8/24/2020 at 9:16 PM, zaitsev04 said:

I just wanted to put this here because I had the same issues and did everything and nothing fixed it.

Tonight I resolved the issue for good.

Before you run through the vive setup, close out of Steam. Navigate to you're Steam application short cut and right click, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. Likely somewhere along the long line of Steam app updates, the Devs changed permission requirements, or it's something to do with the way your OS is configured for permissions. Whatever the source, I don't care. I finally won my fight. I'll also have you know that none of the 3 college degrees I have helped me resolve this issue, so don't post silly ego centric things like that, it's been annoying reading all the BS troubleshooting forums with similar posts. 

For windows 10 users, go to installed applications under settings, search Vive, uninstall the software, uninstall the driver (don't run the repair your wasting your time), don't need to mess w the diagnostic file. Close Steam if you have it configured to auto boot upon system start-up. Then Run Steam as Admin and follow the Vive setup.exe advice. ESPECIALLY IF THE VIVE WAS WORKING THEN MYSTERIOUSLY STOPPED.

If you're having to swap USB ports and it magically works one day then doesn't the next, no offense comp sci degree holders, but that's noobish lol and you should know why. Get a mobo that's compatible if this is your issue and verify your processor is compatible too. You'll know what I mean if you've done your research. It's sad how many hours I've sunk into trouble shooting this POS, but it's a pretty good device despite hardware/software issues.

I'm leaving a lengthy post for all the sad folks out there still searching, hopefully your Google character search leads you here.

Best

Jeremy M

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  All I had to do was right-click Steam and run as Administrator.  It worked great after that!

It had been a few months since I used the VIve, so some updates had to be installed.  After that, it wouldn't work.  I "determined" that my Vive must be broken because I tried setting it up on a different, brand new, gaming PC while also bypassing the linkbox and it still gave me the dreaded Error 108.  I decided to order a lightly used replacement HMD via eBay and, to my disappointment, ran into Error 108 with that unit, as well.  Running Steam as Administrator fixed the issue in no time.  HTC needs to plaster this fix on their home page because running into this error on after installing on a brand new computer means it must be a very common show stopping issue with a super easy fix.