Base station led blinking red

Knurl

Hi i have a regular vive i bought about a year and half ago. i went to start it up today for the first time in about a month and the one base led is blinking red. it says the error is 10009 error and was hoping it was somthing i could fix. my warranty is up and i really cant affored to buy a new one. is this a problem i can fix my self?

I dont know if this will help but I had a dead Base station and I was given instructions on how to reset it. I will copy and paste what I was told to me. It fixed mine but read it very carefully and follow the instructions to the letter. Here is what I was told, And good luck

Please note that you should only do this is your base station does not work at all. Although this should be harmless there is a non-zero chance that it could make things worse.

First of all you will need to locate 2 files in SteamVR. Easiest way to locate this is right click SteamVR in your library, click Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files.

From there go to tools\lighthouse\firmware\lighthouse_tx\archive\htc_2.0

The 2 files we need are "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-calibration-rescue-244.bin" and "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-244-2016-03-12.bin"

Step 1: With the base station un-powered, connect your station through Micro-B USB Cable to your PC
Step 2: Hold down the mode button and plug in the power cable to the station
Step 3: Once your PC has detected the station as a USB Mass Storage Device you can release the mode button
Step 4: The station should be called "CRP_DISABLED" and contain one file "firmware.bin", delete that file
Step 5: Copy over the file "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-calibration-rescue-244.bin" onto the drive
Step 6: Once the file has copied over, pull out the power lead
Step 7: Wait a few seconds and plug in the power again (DO NOT hold down the mode button this time)
Step 8: Within a few seconds the base station should rapidly flash green or red. If it's green please skip to step 10.
Step 9: If it is flashing red it means it could not be automatically fixed if so you will then need to contact VIVE directly for them to book the base station in for repair https://www.vive.com/support/
Step 10: Unplug the power cable again
Step 11: Repeat steps 1 thru 7 but now instead copy the "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-244-2016-03-12" file instead
Step 12: The base station should now be working again. Confirm it by setting it's mode to A and tracking with it alone (the other base turned off)

After that you can either switch back the bases modes to A and B for cabled sync or B and C for wireless sync.

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2019 at 8:22 AM, Laughingboy said:

I dont know if this will help but I had a dead Base station and I was given instructions on how to reset it. I will copy and paste what I was told to me. It fixed mine but read it very carefully and follow the instructions to the letter. Here is what I was told, And good luck

Please note that you should only do this is your base station does not work at all. Although this should be harmless there is a non-zero chance that it could make things worse.

First of all you will need to locate 2 files in SteamVR. Easiest way to locate this is right click SteamVR in your library, click Properties, Local Files, Browse Local Files.

From there go to tools\lighthouse\firmware\lighthouse_tx\archive\htc_2.0

The 2 files we need are "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-calibration-rescue-244.bin" and "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-244-2016-03-12.bin"

Step 1: With the base station un-powered, connect your station through Micro-B USB Cable to your PC
Step 2: Hold down the mode button and plug in the power cable to the station
Step 3: Once your PC has detected the station as a USB Mass Storage Device you can release the mode button
Step 4: The station should be called "CRP_DISABLED" and contain one file "firmware.bin", delete that file
Step 5: Copy over the file "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-calibration-rescue-244.bin" onto the drive
Step 6: Once the file has copied over, pull out the power lead
Step 7: Wait a few seconds and plug in the power again (DO NOT hold down the mode button this time)
Step 8: Within a few seconds the base station should rapidly flash green or red. If it's green please skip to step 10.
Step 9: If it is flashing red it means it could not be automatically fixed if so you will then need to contact VIVE directly for them to book the base station in for repair https://www.vive.com/support/
Step 10: Unplug the power cable again
Step 11: Repeat steps 1 thru 7 but now instead copy the "lighthouse_tx_htc_2_0-244-2016-03-12" file instead
Step 12: The base station should now be working again. Confirm it by setting it's mode to A and tracking with it alone (the other base turned off)

After that you can either switch back the bases modes to A and B for cabled sync or B and C for wireless sync.

When I get it to work it tells me to that one base station is visible. Even though the faulty base station is green and the icon says update. When I update the base station it just goes back to being broken.

@Smikey_YT The guide they posted is not a valid way to fix base stations. The earliest firmware versions did not have self-diagnostic reporting. This "fix" basically takes the firmware and reverts it to an early version which is unable to detect or report itself as being broken. As a result - it can spew out bad tracking data leading to erratic tracking. As soon as you upgrade to newer firmware, the station can report back to SteamVR that it's not functioning correctly. The station is broken in both scenarios - it's just a matter of it's ability to self-report back the fact that it's broken.

These types of things require physical servicing since it's a mechanical problem.