My official request for direct porting of Vive controllers to keyboard and game system controllers.

MainFragger

The statement about the industry not wanting a "console-like" controller is kind of ironic..because thats already what the controls are.   Basically they are an evolotion from Xbox controller to Steam controller to Vive.  They split it to two controllers, but just about every button on a game system controller is there on the Vive controller.   Software basically just polls an address/variable that the controller send information to.  All you have to do is link that map to the map of the buttons in the game.    And maybe do some tweaking to allow for button combinations.

The real trick is getting the controller to port to keyboard controlled games.   But I'd still imagine in the long run, thats more of the same..

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.  VorpX's latest version hasn't released yet (as far as I know).  But until it does, I have been searching a lot of reddit sites that have been discussing using Skyrim in VR.  A good deal of them are trying to compare VorpX vs. Vierio vs. TriDef 3D. 

Its pretty amazing how many people are trying to do back flips to get their systems to work with Skyrim and Skyrim: SE. 

Vorpx is planning on releasing a new version before the end of the year (cutting it kind of close, but I saw a post from earlier today where they confirmed that that is the plan).  The new version will have Vive Controller support (also confirmed several times in posts over the past week)..finally, yay!   I  can't wait! 

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you, and the moderator saying its taking a step backwards isnt positive. I want to use my mouse and keyboard to play, and theather mode is not the answer. I tried to return my vive which my wife purchased in november as an xmas present, but they had no xmas policy so when I opened it up "buyer remorse" had expired. So now I have to remount it and place my beer in a safe distant so my "controller" dont hit my table or monitors or beer while I'm seated. He did say buyers remorse.

I kind of got stuck with the Vive because I ordered and fully expected my laptop to be able to handle it, and it didn't.  And by the time I could afford to get another desktop system to hook it to, my return period was over.    But had I realized, to begin with, that it wouldn't work with my blu-ray player or Xbox360, I probably would have waited longer before getting into VR.  Or I would have gone with the Glyph Avegant...

As it stands, I can't really complain too strongly.  I still manage to enjoy the experiences, the 360 videos, and some games on here.   I convert a lot of movies that were 2D to 3D with a conversion box and PVR recorder,  and save them as .mp4s, which I play using Simple VR Player.   I pretty much get my money's worth out of the unit just by doing that..

My biggest problem is that I have to admit, I'm always willing to spend money on expensive kick ass hardware, but once I do so, I am a horrible cheapskate when it comes to software.    There are very few games I'll admit to being worth $60.. and most of the time, even then, I'll wait till they are somewhere between $10 and $20 in the used bin before I break down and buy one.  Skyrim is the exception to that rule for me.  Its one of the few games I've bought for Xbox and THEN for PC (Dragon Age being the other).   Those two games are the game I've ever bought DLC for.    Which is part of the reason I pushed so hard for better support of it. 

Of course, the thing that sucks right now is that my whole VR rig is dismantled at the moment, until I know which room I am staying in at my friend's house.  He might have a rentor for his guest room, which means I'll have to move to the den.  I'm not setting it up just to have to break it down again, so I'm in a bit of a holding pattern until I know which room I'll be in.  The only reason I haven't had gaming withdrawal this week is there was plenty of viewing to catch up on between DVR, Netflix, and Amazon Prime video. 

• 6 months later...

I'm here to make a bit of noise!

I would really like my vive controllers to be able to emulate an xbox controller, or mouse and keyboard too!

I'm not talking about a backward step here either - some VR games out there do not support the Vive controller at the moment, eg House of the Dying Sun, Elite Dangerous, Battlezone VR and others. Personally I don't like gamepads - the stick movement is too small and I can see my Vive controllers with my headset on, unlike the keyboard, mouse or gamepad. So please, give us the option to use the excellent Vive controllers, give us the option to remap the functions to a keyboard press, or a trackpad to a control stick position, it really can't be that difficult can it?

I reckon you guys could knock up a simple control mapping utility in a matter of days if you wanted to.

Thanks for your input, as you can see in the earlier part of the thread, it's not really something we're looking at doing. In the future, there might be some entrepreneurial third party which develops something like that, but I haven't heard of anything.

We do have the Vive Tracker available for devs right now which would basically do what you're talking about. A sticker wouldn't be enough for the tracking system Vive uses.

Thanks,

-John C

Archived