Vive Pro: Everything works but display is black.

smhanov

I bought this laptop yesterday and the HTC Vive Pro kit.
https://www.gigabyte.com/eg/Laptop/AERO-15--RTX-20-Series#sp It lets me see what's happening on the laptop screen. Motion tracking and audio work beautifully. However the headset LED is always red and the headset is blank (off/completely dark),

The Gigabyte Aero 15 X9 has no displayport, but it supports Displayport 1.4 through the USB-C connector. I have connected the HTC hub to the NON-thunderbolt USB-C input using a USB-C to Mini-DP adapter, and also bought a Mini-DP to Mini-DP cable. (When I plug into the thunderbolt side, it gives Error 212 (screen is mirrored and should be extended, so I learned to use the other port).

The laptop has both an Intel and Nvidia 2080 graphics adapter. Windows does not allow you to switch between them, but it is my understanding that this is intentional behaviour and the Nvidia card activates itself when needed.

I have 14 days left to return the whole thing. Please let me know how I can get things working.

2x USB 3.1 Gen1 (Type-A)
1x USB 3.1 Gen2 (Type-A)
1x Thunderbolt™ 3 (USB Type-C)
1x HDMI 2.0
1x DP 1.4 & USB3.1 (USB Type-C)
1x 3.5mm Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack
1x UHS-II SD Card Reader
1x DC-in Jack
1x RJ-45

The cable might be bad. Try bypassing the linkbox and then after that, try using the short HDMI and USB cables and see if you can get a display. If neither of those work and you're still getting a red light, you might have a DOA HMD.

Thank you,

-John C

Jelly of those laptop specs - that's quite a beast.

You're in a much better situation than most people with gaming laptop with questionable Displayport support. In this case, they're specifically confirming the laptop will support Displayport 1.2+ on that USB-C port - in most cases, other OEMs are extremely ambiguous about this. On paper, your laptop 100% meets the requirements, it's just a matter of the USB-C/Displayport conversion.

This is probably an adapter compatibility issue. The adapter and cable must support 4K at 20gbps, most adapters only output >10gpbs or are instead primary focused on delivering TB3 support. Which adapter and cable combo are you using? In this case, I would recommend trying an adapter/cable we've confirmed is compatible with Pro.

Internally we use the following USB-C -> DP adapter for our laptops: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2350/usb_3.1_type_c_to_displayport_1.2/ It's the most reliable we've found (amazon link). We've also used the following when our first choice was not available: https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-DisplayPort-Chromebook-Resolution-Thunderbolt/dp/B0725L2WMH 

Both adapters ouputs DP so you won't need a mDP cable and can use the stock DP cable that ships with the kit. The mDP cable we're recommending is the 3 foot version of this: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Mini-DisplayPort-Black/dp/B0777RKTJB?th=1 

Thank you so much for your reponse.

I suspected it may be the adapter, so I went to the store just bought a number of different combinations. Here is what I found works with the Gigabyte Aero 15 X9:

I use this combination cable adapter. That way it connects directly from the Vive hub to the USB-C with nothing else in between. It has male USB-C on one side and male mini-displayport on the other.

CHOETECH Type C to mini DisplayPort, 4K @ 60Hz, Gold Plated, 1.5M, Black (XCM-1501) https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=1340_1418&item_id=131990

It must be connected to the USB-C side (the left side of the laptop) and NOT the thunderbolt side on the right.

Starting everything almost always requires two steps with a reboot. I will try ordering your recommended cable to see if that helps.

1. Plug everything in, wait for all the USB devices to beep and say ready, then start Steam VR.
  2. Get message that headset is disconnected. The button to reset it never works. Instead, go to the SteaVR settings / developer / remove USB devices. Wait for it to complete
  3. Unplug headset and hub from USB.
  4. Reboot the computer.
  5. When it boots up, plug everything in and wait 3 minutes for the USB devices to say ready.
  6. Start Steam VR.
  7. Possibly go back to step two again.
  8. It works!

I am not sure if this is relevevant, but I have also set the graphics processor to nvidia-preferred mode like this:

• 1 month later...

I have found that when the headset is not detected, you do not need to reboot everything. Here are the revised steps that save a lot of time when you get the Headset Disconnected error.

1. Shutdown steam, by clicking on its menu and selecting exit.

2. Turn off the Vive hub by pressing its button on the top.

3. Disconnect only the USB-C connector from the left side of the laptop.

4. Wait for the two windows USB disconnecting sounds.

5. Reconnect the USB-C connector.

6. Turn on the vive hub again.

7. Wait for the two Window USB connecting sounds.

8. Start steam again.

Nearly every time, this is all that is needed to resolve the "Headset disconnected" problem. This is assuming you have all the right cables as recommended above -- either the CHOETECH one that I use or the one recommended by HTC Vive.