Sensor setup for large room and 10+ headsets

blenderpedia

Hi There,

I am building a VR arcade room with 10+ vive headsets. we started with 4 sensors to make a setup for teh room, during this proces we had issues with interfiring sensors when testing the headsets.

The problem is that the headsets receive too many signals. There is room for two base station signals, but because the signal distance is between 4/5 meter we have to add more sensors to cover the room. I added an image to show our setup. In this room we created arcade seats, so people won't move and just sit. 

does anyone have an idea how to make a proper setup without interfiring the sensors with eachother ?

it doesn't matter how manny sensors we need, we just want it to work.

hope someone had some thoughts about this challenge.

The only way that is going to work is if you completely block off each pair from each other so there's no chance the HMD will see the light from any other Base station. You'll probably need cubicles that go up above 7 feet.

Thank you,

-John C

Ditto - this is simply outside of the use-case for 1.0 tracking and falls squarely into the use-case for SteamTracking V2.0. SteamVR 1.0 tracking is specifically meant to provide a "roomscale VR" experience with a playspace around ~15 feet diagonally. Physical isolation is the only way to get more than 1 base-station pair working in this room and the overall size and geometry of the room simply means that you'll need more than 2 stations for this task. As you can't array 1.0 stations together, physically isolating each tracked volume is only way to add more stations.

If you were using Pro with 2.0 base stations - you'd simply add a 3rd or 4th station to achieve the correct coverage. The 2.0 base stations are specifically designed to afford these types of setups and to remove some of the limitations of 1.0 tracking such as the ability to have more than 2 basestations in a single room without interference. 

Thanks for your replay. 

the 2.0 base stations are not for sale as far as i know.  we received the 1.0 base station when we ordered the htc vive pro. We also ordered some extra sets, but these where also 1.0 base stations. 

Right now the max distance is five meter. it is possible to add 9 vive pro headsets, but this is the max range  for the room. We want 22 extra headsets so maybe we have to change the type of headset because this will not work out.

You don't really need more than 5 meters as most games aren't designed for any more space than that. You can get 6 meters from the 2.0 base stations, but again, most games aren't designed for larger play areas. Since you want to do an arcade, your HMD options are somewhat limited since only a handful have the power and library you're probably looking for. Most of those use lighthouse tracking which currently has the largest play area of all released PC VR HMDs.

Realistically, there is going to be an upper limit on HMDs you can fit into a single room. If you put in partitions to keep each play area seperated from the other, you can get the most out of the space you have to work with.

Thank you,
-John C

Hi John,

Have you checked my opening post? the room design is a bit different. we do not play a game in a room, but we have 30 seats in a 6 by 20 room. users do not walk.

i also included an image to show the setup, this may helps.

we look for a solution to send a signal to all teh headsets.

I did read your opening post. That configuration will not work with 1.0 base stations. You cannot cover that much area with 2 base stations and if you have more than 2, you need to isolate them from each other. 2.0 base stations might work, but that functionality is in still in beta.

Perhaps the Vive Focus Plus is more of what you want since it doesn't require external tracking hardware. https://enterprise.vive.com/us/focus-plus/

Thank you,

-John C

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping for some better support from HTC. The pro headsets are expensive and we try to make it work in our setup.

I'm glad we found a solution with the HP Reverb headset. No sensors and higher resolution. We already had 10 vive headsets and we removed these from the installation.