Can Not Having a Powerful Enough Computer Cause the Grey Screen Flashes?

PlanZed

When I play games I get grey screen flashes, but with more graphic intensive games it flashes more often. Some games it flashes so much it isn't playable so any solution will be helpful. I also have done so many things to try and fix it like lining up the base stations, updating all drivers including USB drivers, and none of that seems to work. Could it be that I only have 8gb of ram or a GTX 1050ti? Should I consider upgrading my PC to stop the flashes? 

-

Yes - it's kinda complex though because underpowered PC's behave in unpredicatable ways. The compositor can defintely flash to a grey screen to prevent motion sickness. That said, you'd also want to check a few other things. In most cases where the GPU cannot sustain at least 45fps, it drops into an empty SteamVR environment to prevent motion sickness; if the framerate totally crashes, it can go striaght to grey.

Here are a few notes: 

• GPU
    • Your 1050Ti is under the Vive's minimum requirements. 
    • You can verify that your performance is bad by going to SteamVR -> Settings and looking at the graph on the lefthand corner. If the number is above 11.1ms, your GPU is missing the 90fps target. You can see it inside the HMD via SteamVR -> Settings -> Developer -> Display GPU Preformance Graph. 
    • You can use motion smoothing and custom resolutions on SteamVR -> Settings -> Video to increase performance.
    • If you upgrade your GPU, a GTX2060 or a new/used 10xx model is the cheapest option to get upto spec. 
  • Check for base-station reflections
    • Generate a SteamVR system Report via SteamVR -> Create System report. Save it to a file
    • Search the file (ctrl - f) for the term: back-facing
    • Here's what a reflection looks like in SteamVR's logs:
      • Tue Dec 18 2018 22:40:44.590 - lighthouse: LHR-4A99138F H: Dropped 312329 back-facing hits, 41 non-clustered hits during the previous tracking session

-

Yes - it's kinda complex though because underpowered PC's behave in unpredicatable ways. The compositor can defintely flash to a grey scree if the FPS crashes. That said, you'd also want to check a few other things. Typically if the GPU can't sustain 45fps, SteamVR will kick you into an empty compositor environment to keep you from getting motion sick.

• GPU
    • Your 1050Ti is under the Vive's minimum requirements. 
    • You can verify that your performance is bad by going to SteamVR -> Settings and looking at the graph on the lefthand corner. If the number is above 11.1ms, your GPU is missing the 90fps target. You can see it inside the HMD via SteamVR -> Settings -> Developer -> Display GPU Preformance Graph. 
    • You can use motion smoothing and custom resolutions on SteamVR -> Settings -> Video to increase performance.
    • If you upgrade your GPU, a GTX2060 or a new/used 10xx model is the cheapest option to get upto spec. 
  • Check for base-station reflections
    • Generate a SteamVR system Report via SteamVR -> Create System report. Save it to a file
    • Search the file (ctrl - f) for the term: back-facing
    • Here's what a reflection looks like in SteamVR's logs:
      • Tue Dec 18 2018 22:40:44.590 - lighthouse: LHR-4A99138F H: Dropped 312329 back-facing hits, 41 non-clustered hits during the previous tracking session